[News] Tweaking Guide for PS3 GNU/Linux

More than a toy

,----[ Quote ]
| The Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3) runs Linux®, but getting it to run well requires
| some tweaking. In this article, first in a series, Peter Seebach introduces
| the features and benefits of PS3 Linux, and explains some of the issues that
| might benefit from a bit of tweaking.
`----

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-ps3-1/index.html?ca=dgr-lnxw97PS3Linux&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=dGR
http://tinyurl.com/5gaf39

Recent:

How to Turn Your PlayStation 3 Into a Linux PC (and Win Our Mod)

,----[ Quote ]
| The Cell processor inside Sony's PlayStation 3 is a powerhouse that lets the
| gaming console render highly detailed graphics at blistering speed. That same
| chip gives the PS3 all the processing muscle it needs to become a fully
| functional computer. When we first heard this was possible, we were sure the
| procedure had to be illegal, or that it would at least void the warranty. But
| as it turns out, this is that rarest of finds in consumer electronics: a
| perfectly legal, manufacturer-supported hack that adds significant
| functionality. With a little bit of effort and expense, we turned a PS3 into
| a Linux computer—without losing any of the machine's native gaming goodness.
| And we'd like one of our readers to win it.
`----

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how_to/4263321.html

Sony: world PS3 sales pass 12.8m consoles

,----[ Quote ]
| Strong sales across all of Sony’s PlayStation hardware range over the past
| financial year have left the electronics giant feeling confident that it can
| still fend off Microsoft’s Xbox 360.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/05/14/playstation_sales_rise/

Stream Excel, Word, Access to your living room [PS3+Linux] TV

,----[ Quote ]
| The free version of the software will allow you to stream at 640x480, which
| is pretty crap, but if you’re willing to pay up, you can go all the way to
| 3200x2400 - although the system requirements for that are should be pretty
| high, like an octoSLI or sumthin'.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/22/stream-excel-word-access-living

Related:

PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
| next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
| videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
| Web-based "Office 2.0" applications.
|
| IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
| off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
| show organizer.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
| time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
| priced at $650.

Ubuntu Linux and Symfony on a PlayStation 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Running linux on a playstation 3 is not a hack, it doesn’t require any
| hardware modification, won’t disable any feature on your Playstation 3 and is
| not difficult to do.
|
| Sony officially support running linux on your ps3 with dedicated tools
| present in the XMB ( Cross-mediabar, the UI of the Playstation 3).
`----

http://demenzia.net/2007/08/21/linux-and-symfony-on-a-ps3/

One million PS3s in distributed computing network

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16481/1063/