[News] Research and Literature Increasingly Opting for Collaboration

Medical Research and Open Source: Competition Trumps Collaboration

,----[ Quote ]
| A combination of confidentiality issues, company policies and old-fashioned
| competition often keeps medical researchers from collaborating on projects.
| Some initiatives have sprung up to develop open source software and
| collaborative databases, but for the most part, secrecy reigns.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Medical-Research-and-Open-Source-Competition-Trumps-Collaboration-64222.html

Battling pricy textbooks with open-source texts, social media

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a study by the California Public Interest Research Group in
| 2004, students had to spend $900 each year on textbooks during the course of
| earning a four-year college degree, and that figure is only growing with the
| price of books. Indeed, the Government Accountability Office found that
| prices of academic textbooks rose by almost 300 percent from 1986 to 2004.
|
| A recent LA Times article features an interview with Caltech economics
| professor R. Preston McAfee, who is bucking the trend by offering his
| students a free, online, open-source textbook. McAfee is (rightly) outraged
| by the prices charged to what is in effect a captive market. This isn't the
| first time that overpriced textbooks have been highlighted in the media
| either.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080820-battling-pricy-textbooks-with-open-source-texts-social-media.html

Authors and publishers reportedly bribe professors to recommend their books.
Microsoft too bribes them.

Related:

Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're a professor and you mention Microsoft programming tools in a
| scholarly presentation -- in fact, even if you just use the tools --
| Microsoft will send you a check for $200.
`----

http://chronicle.com/data/articles.dir/art-44.dir/issue-33.dir/33a03001.htm

- From E-mail:

http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0%402-651865,36-991097%4051-991184,0.html

,----[ Quote ]
| As you see, it's in French but it is short and sweet.  It refers to an
| article published in the Swiss newspaper Le Temps on Monday (available for a
| payment of 2.50 Swiss francs.)  But I find the Le Monde article
| sufficient and can offer a translation:
|
|      1,445: number of students in the world paid by Microsoft to
|      promote favourable speech in their universities
|
|      "How Microsoft has infiltrated the Swiss universities" was the
|      title of the Monday Le Temps.  The Genevean newspaper pointed to
|      these students charged with "forging links with their peers and
|      the professors" to improve the image of Bill Gates' firm in the
|      universities.  The program "Microsoft Student Partners" is not at
|      all clandestine, it has an official Website at
|      "http://student-partners.com";.  It is no longer at all local: the
|      1,445 students at the service of Microsoft are active in 102
|      countries.  In France, more than 100 students carry the title MSP
|      and correspond with the Microsoft teams during their whole time in
|      school.  These French students have actively participated in the
|      launch of the Vista operating system, organising 87 conferences
|      and stands, leading 17 training sessions and moderating 42 blogs.
`----

Microsoft to set up its First Computer University at Bangalore

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mybangaloreproperty.com/blogs/bangalore_real_estate/archive/2007/07/12/microsoft-to-set-up-its-first-computer-univarsity-at-bangalore.aspx