[News] SFLC Published GPL Compliance Documents for Developers

Software Freedom Law Center Publishes Guide to GPL Compliance

,----[ Quote ]
| The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC), provider of pro-bono legal services
| to protect and advance Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FOSS), today
| published a guide to effective compliance with the GNU General Public License
| (GPL) and related licenses.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2008/aug/20/compliance-guide/

A Practical Guide to GPL Compliance

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a guide to effective compliance with the GNU General Public License
| (GPL) and related licenses. In accordance with the Software Freedom Law
| Center’s (SFLC’s) philosophy of assisting the community with GPL compliance
| cooperatively, this guide focuses on avoiding compliance actions and
| minimizing the negative impact when enforcement actions occur. It introduces
| and explains basic legal concepts related to the GPL and its enforcement by
| copyright holders. It also outlines business practices and methods that lead
| to better GPL compliance. Finally, it recommends proper post-violation

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/compliance-guide.html

Related:

BusyBox Developers and Monsoon Multimedia Agree to Dismiss GPL Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) and Monsoon Multimedia today jointly
| announced that an agreement has been reached to dismiss the GPL enforcement
| lawsuit filed by SFLC on behalf of two principal developers of BusyBox.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2007/oct/30/busybox-monsoon-settlement/

And Just Like That, The Games End — First Ever GPL Lawsuit Dismissed

,----[ Quote ]
| In the agreement to dismiss the lawsuit, the SFLC is reporting that Monsoon
| Multimedia has agreed to appoint an “Open Source Compliance Officer” within
| its organization “to monitor and ensure GPL compliance, to publish the source
| code for the version of BusyBox it previously distributed on its web site,
| and to undertake substantial efforts to notify previous recipients of BusyBox
| from Monsoon Multimedia of their rights to the software under the GPL.
|
| [...]
|
| Stay tuned, however, as this is likely not the last lawsuit we will see here
| in the U.S. to enforce the terms of the GPL.
`----

http://thinkingopen.wordpress.com/2007/10/30/and-just-like-that-the-games-end-first-ever-gpl-lawsuit-dismissed/

SFLC: Setting Legal Precedent Not the Goal of GPL Case

,----[ Quote ]
| Software Freedom Law Center co-founder Dan Ravicher says the Center’s
| copyright infringement case against Monsoon Multimedia on behalf of the
| creators of BusyBox is not about setting legal precedent for the use and
| interpretation of the GNU General Public License.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/osb/?p=241

GPL defenders say: See you in court

,----[ Quote ]
| The license also requires anyone distributing GPL software, in an executable
| form that a computer can run, to make the complete source code available. One
| example: Cisco Systems subsidiary Linksys, which  shares the GPL software
| used in its wireless networking equipment.
`----

http://www.news.com/GPL-defenders-say-See-you-in-court/2100-7344_3-6210837.html

First U.S. GPL lawsuit heads for quick settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| The first U.S. GPL-related lawsuit appears to be headed for a quick
| out-of-court settlement. Monsoon Multimedia admitted today that it had
| violated the GPLv2 (GNU General Public License version 2), and said it will
| release its modified BusyBox code in full compliance with the license.

New Method To Detect and Prove GPL Violations

,----[ Quote ]
| "A paper to be presented at the upcoming academic conference Automated
| Software Engineering describes a new method to detect code theft and could be
| used to detect GPL violations in particular. While the co-called birthmarking
| method is demonstrated for Java, it is general enough to work for other
| languages as well..."
`----

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/25/1648253&from=rss

German Court convicted Skype of violating the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| German district court Munich has convicted Skype of violating the GPL. One of
| the VoIP telephones sold by Skype run Linux, but the GPL text was not handed
| out together with the phone, although the GPL requires that.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/07/24/german-court-convicted-skype-of-violating-the-gpl/#comment-27057

German GPL defender claims legal victory

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source programmer Harald Welte said Thursday he won a civil court
| case in Germany centered on the General Public License (GPL). The license
| governs many open-source projects and permits anyone to use software
| covered by it, but requires that companies incorporating GPL software
| make the underlying source code available.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6113453.html?part=rss&tag=6113453&subj=news

gpl-violations.org project prevails in court case on GPL violation by D-Link

,----[ Quote ]
| D-Link Germany GmbH, a subsidiary of D-Link Corporation, Taiwan R.O.C.,
| distributed DSM-G600, a network attached storage (NAS) device which uses a
| Linux-based Operating System.  However, this distribution was incompliant
| with the GNU General Public License (GPL) which covers the Linux Kernel and
| many other software programs used in the product.
`----

http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060922-dlink-judgement_frankfurt.html

Wallace's Appeal Firmly Rejected - GPL Has Nothing to Fear [pdf]

,----[ Quote ]
| PJ: "Just so you know, Daniel Wallace's appeal of the ruling
| against him in his pro se quest to overthrow the GPL on antitrust
| grounds, one of SCO's daydreams too, has been firmly rejected by
| the appeals court, as I knew it would be."
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/WallaceAppealRejected.pdf

Would Dostoevsky Use the GPL?

,----[ Quote ]