Re: [OT] Penguin receives Knighthood

Tony(UK) wrote:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:00:47 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
snip
http://www.betanews.com/article/Bill_Gates_Knighted_by_Queen_Elizabeth/1109730577

AFAIK, Linus Torvalds has yet to receive a similar honor, though I for
one would hope that he gets something far more popular (namely, the
accolades of the users :-) ).
There was a scandal recently. These awards and medals are sometimes
given in exchange for something, i.e. bribes.

I have never heard of a knighthood or recognition given by the Queen
being obtained by bribery. Are you sure you don't mean peerages?
(awarded by the Government of the day).

Our Queen corrupt? Surely not!
Lock him in the tower!

No, unfortunately its a knighthood (or at least the equivalent for a non uk resident). It was given about 8-10 years ago by Tony Blair after a series of meetings with Sir Buttcrust at number 10. At the time, there were rumours the NHS were going to move away from M$. In flew Sir Buttcrust, a few meetings later His Blairness announced a "good deal" for the NHS with M$, and Sir Buttcrust eventually got his knighthood.