[News] Free Software Saves Brazilians from the MAFIAA

Free Software movement fights to keep internet freedom in Brazil

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| ...is
|     the practice of (i) mislabeling as property a limited monopoly granted by
|     society as a means to get, after an originally short period of
|     deprivation, more creative works available for all to enjoy and build
|     upon; (ii) promoting the extension of the monopoly and other
|     authoritarian laws that grant authoriterrorists technical and legal means
|     to steal from society the fulfillment of the goal of copyrights; (iii)
|     using these technical and legal measures and scare tactics to stop people
|     from using works in ways that fall outside the scope or the period of the
|     monopoly; (iv) brainwashing people so they believe they don't and
|     shouldn't have the right to use works in these ways, that it would
|     somehow harm authors (as if authoriterrorists didn't), and that it is the
|     moral equivalent of invading ships, stealing the cargo and enslaving or
|     murdering the tripulation.
| Not quite sure what a tripulation is, but anyway....

Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

,----[ Quote ]
| Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
| acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
| use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
| are being told nothing about how the network technology works,

Damning Proof Comcast Contracted To Sandvine

,----[ Quote ]
| Oops. Hard to play the no comment game when the facts are already in print.

Senators want probe of Comcast's BitTorrent 'discrimination'

,----[ Quote ]
| The senators suggested the incidents indicate "Congress should consider
| adopting targeted regulations to protect consumers and ensure a vibrant and
| open communications platform."

Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

,----[ Quote ]
| While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave,
| another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in
| and regulate.
| On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent "network
| management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong supporter of
| consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage caused by the
| Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA.

OiNK Down, Norwegian BitTorrent Trackers Next

,----[ Quote ]
| With the BitTorrent world spinning on its heels after the shock takedown of
| the huge OiNK tracker, there are now indications that the shutdowns may
| continue. According to the lawyer who lost against ‘DVD Jon’, next stop is
| Norway and raids are imminent.

TorrentSpy Traffic Plunges After US Ban

,----[ Quote ]
| The MPAA has caused TorrentSpy, once the most popular BitTorrent site, some
| serious headaches. After a federal judge ordered TorrentSpy to log all user
| data stored in RAM, they decided to block access to US users, consequently
| their traffic dropped significantly.

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
| his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
| wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
| is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet.

Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

,----[ Quote ]
| Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
| to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
| can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
| the transmission of future packets.
| According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
| sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
| from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection.

Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers complain bandwidth limits are secret.

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

| Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
| searches for IPs that originate in the United States.

Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their
| BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease
| in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads.
| A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private
| trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general.
| [...]
| Last year we had a discussion whether traffic shaping is good or bad, and
| ISPs made it pretty clear that they do not like P2P applications like
| BitTorrent. One of the ISPs that joined our discussions said: “The fact is,
| P2P is (from my point of view) a plague - a cancer, that will consume all the
| bandwidth that I can provide. It’s an insatiable appetite.”, and another one
| stated: “P2P applications can cripple a network, they’re like leaches. Just
| because you pay 49.99 for a 1.5-3.0mbps connection doesn’t mean your entitled
| to use whatever protocols you wish on your ISP’s network without them
| provisioning it to make the network experience good for all users involved.”

Anti-Piracy Company Wants to Sell Patents to Protect P2P

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently we reported that anti-piracy company Viralg is selling the patents
| to its technology on eBay for $1,000,000. Most people didn’t think it was
| value for money but Viralg have been in touch and they have a new idea -
| selling the patents to P2P’ers to help prevent some future anti-P2P
| technology.

Studies: music industry overstating threat of P2P piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Or perhaps it's not all that amazing. A more likely explanation is
| that the numbers aren't even right. As Canadian law professor Michael
| Geist showed a few weeks ago, claims about piracy rates can be wildly
| variable and downright fictional. High numbers are often used to
| support legal threats or calls for Congressional action, as in the
| MRT case. MRT has a lot to gain by overstating the threat of
| streamripping and, so far, has not showed its numbers. Both MRT
| and NPD agree, though, that P2P is hardly the music industry's
| biggest problem.

File sharing could threaten personal and national security

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent government report says that the old adage "buyer beware" now
| even applies to those who are not technically buying anything at all.
| Despite the reputation of "free" downloads, much of the illegal file
| sharing done on the internet comes at a steep price: personal and
| national security.

The European Parliament approves new, stricter anti-piracy directive

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament voted yes on the new controversial directive
| Ipred 2 which concludes that all kinds of infringement of the
| intellectual copyrights will be considered criminal. The directive
| is actually stricter than that and even criminalizes attempts of
| infringing on copyrights. In theory this means that basically all
| video sites, P2P developers and other services used to spread
| material around the web is criminal.

Russian music site down, sister site up

,----[ Quote ]
| Allofmp3 has been cast as the epitome of Russia's shoddy copyright
| enforcement and repeatedly held up by U.S. trade negotiators as
| imperiling Moscow's WTO bid.
| But a sister site has quietly emerged from the wings.

AllOfMP3 Shut Down by Russian Government

,----[ Quote ]
| AllOfMp3, the popular online music store, has been shut down by the
|  Russian government. Pressure from the United States, and a refusal
| to enter the World Trade Organisation (WTO) convinced the Kremlin to
| take the website down for good.

File-sharing 'graveyard' still filling up

,----[ Quote ]