[News] Taxpayers Pay Huge Lumps of Money to Become "Terror Suspects"

UK.gov to spend hundreds of millions on snooping silo

,----[ Quote ]
| The government is pressing ahead with plans to spend hundreds of millions of
| pounds on a massive central silo for all UK communications data, The Register
| has learned.
|
| Home Office civil servants are working on plans for the database under the
| banner of the Interception Modernisation Programme (IMP). The team has
| recently been expanded and a director-level official appointed to run the
| project, which is not yet official policy in public.
|
| Sources said secret briefings revealed the cost of the database would run to
| nine figures and has already been factored into government spending plans.
| The IMP budget was part of the intelligence agencies' undisclosed allocation
| in the Comprehensive Spending Review last year. In an answer to a
| parliamentary question on 8 July, the Home Office refused to provide any
| budgetary details, citing national security concerns.
|
| The sum will dwarf the £19m we recently reported the government has given
| telecoms companies to service authorities' data requirements since 2004. The
| überdatabase will render existing arrangements for sharing communications
| data with government agencies obsolete.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/19/ukgov_uber_database/

Recent:

Data Snooping Mission Creep

,----[ Quote ]
| Oh, look, what a surprise: it's not just for anti-terrorism:
|
|     Local councils, health authorities and hundreds of other public bodies
|     are to be given the power to access details of everyone's personal text,
|     emails and internet use under Home Office proposals published yesterday.
|
| And, look, they still haven't learned about the dangers of centralised
| databases:
|
|     The government has already indicated that it intends to go one step
|     further this autumn by introducing a draft communications bill which
|     would require all the telecommunications companies to hand over this data
|     to one central "super" database so that the police and other public
|     authorities will be able to access it directly without having to make a
|     request each time to the individual company holding the records.
|
| Well, at least that will make it easier to steal....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/08/data-snooping-mission-creep.html

Ill and in Pain, Detainee Dies in U.S. Hands

,----[ Quote ]
| He was 17 when he came to New York from Hong Kong in 1992 with his parents
| and younger sister, eyeing the skyline like any newcomer. Fifteen years
| later, Hiu Lui Ng was a New Yorker: a computer engineer with a job in the
| Empire State Building, a house in Queens, a wife who is a United States
| citizen and two American-born sons.
|
| But when Mr. Ng, who had overstayed a visa years earlier, went to immigration
| headquarters in Manhattan last summer for his final interview for a green
| card, he was swept into immigration detention and shuttled through jails and
| detention centers in three New England states.
|
| In April, Mr. Ng began complaining of excruciating back pain. By mid-July, he
| could no longer walk or stand. And last Wednesday, two days after his 34th
| birthday, he died in the custody of Immigration and Customs Enforcement in a
| Rhode Island hospital, his spine fractured and his body riddled with cancer
| that had gone undiagnosed and untreated for months.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/nyregion/13detain.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Wider Spying Fuels Aid Plan for Telecom Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| For months, the Bush administration has waged a high-profile campaign,
| including personal lobbying by President Bush and closed-door briefings by
| top officials, to persuade Congress to pass legislation protecting companies
| from lawsuits for aiding the National Security Agency’s warrantless
| eavesdropping program.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/washington/16nsa.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=e6aa872194ef69e8&ex=1355461200&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Related:

Judge: Man can't be forced to divulge encryption passphrase

,----[ Quote ]
| In this case, Judge Niedermeier took the second approach. He said that
| encryption keys can be "testimonial," and even the prosecution's alternative
| of asking the defendant to type in the passphrase when nobody was looking
| would be insufficient.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9834495-38.html?tag=nefd.blgs

Animal Rights Activists Forced to Hand Over Encryption Keys

,----[ Quote ]
| If you remember, this was sold to the public as essential for fighting
| terrorism. It's already being misused.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/11/animal_rights_a.html

Did NSA Put a Secret Backdoor in New Encryption Standard?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2007/11/securitymatters_1115

,----[ Quote ]
| "Is this a good idea or not? For the first time, the giant software maker
| is acknowledging the help of the secretive agency, better known for
| eavesdropping on foreign officials and, more recently, U.S. citizens as
| part of the Bush..."
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/01/nsa_helps_micro_1.html

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]
| "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
| Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."

For Windows Vista Security, Microsoft Called in Pros

,----[ Quote ]
| The NSA also declined to be specific but said it used two groups — a “red
| team” and a “blue team” — to test Vista’s security. The red team, for
| instance, posed as “the determined, technically competent adversary” to
| disrupt, corrupt or steal information. “They pretend to be bad guys,” Sager
| said. The blue team helped Defense Department system administrators with
| Vista’s configuration .
|
| Microsoft said this is not the first time it has sought help from the NSA.
| For about four years, Microsoft has tapped the spy agency for security
| expertise in reviewing its operating systems, including the Windows XP
| consumer version and the Windows Server 2003 for corporate customers.
`----

http://www.manpreet.co.in/tech-stuff/microsoft-vista-developed-with-help-from-us-national-security-agency/

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to
| sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files,
| user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status
| messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could
| we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status
| messages?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

Spy Master Admits Error

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel czar Mike McConnell told Congress a new law helped bring down a terror
| plot. The facts say otherwise.
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20749773/site/newsweek/

FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware

,----[ Quote ]
| There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we
| reported earlier this week, can be delivered over the Internet and implanted
| in a suspect's computer remotely.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747666-7.html

United States Government Online Watchdogs? Part of the war on terror?

| Is there anyone in the abandonia community with a US based connection who is
| experiencing this watchdog behavior? Are any foreign Vista users experiencing
| similar attacks from their own countries ministries and governing agencies?"
`----

http://www.whitedust.net/news/3984/United_States_Government_Online_Watchdogs?_Part_of_the_war_on_terror?.../

No email privacy rights under Constitution, US gov claims

,----[ Quote ]
| This appears to be more than a mere argument in support of the
| constitutionality of a Congressional email privacy and access scheme. It
| represents what may be the fundamental governmental position on
| Constitutional email and electronic privacy - that there isn't any. What is
| important in this case is not the ultimate resolution of that narrow issue,
| but the position that the United States government is taking on the entire
| issue of electronic privacy. That position, if accepted, may mean that the
| government can read anybody's email at any time without a warrant.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/04/4th-amendment_email_privacy/

How NSA access was built into Windows

,----[ Quote ]