[News] Women in Free Software: Momentum Gained

ANZ women in Open Source gain momentum

,----[ Quote ]
| With increasing interest and influence in the open source movement, women in
| Australia and New Zealand are pushing their way into a normally
| male-dominated arena.
|
| Recently, the Australian and New Zealand branches of Linux Chix merged their
| chat and instant messaging forums to maintain better communication and
| strengthen the scope of their influence.
|
| The two groups, called aussiechix and nzchix, are dedicated to the
| advancement in computing for women in the A/NZ region. The new chat forum has
| been deemed anzichix by the two groups’ members.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/82791,anz-women-in-open-source-gain-momentum.aspx

Recent:

Women in Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| We here at Pingdom have been talking about why we don’t see that many women
| in Open Source, and were actually about to investigate it further and
| possibly write a blog post about it.
`----

http://royal.pingdom.com/?p=308

Related:

Linuxchix New Zealand set up

,----[ Quote ]
| Women who like Linux now have a community organisation in New
| Zealand to support them: LinuxChix NZ.

Linuxchix Australia Expands

,----[ Quote ]
| An Australia-wide chapter of LinuxChix has formed, for women
| living in Australia who are interested in Linux and Free Software.

GNU/Linux distro for women? Why not?

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's face it: As Tim Berners-Lee pointed out recently, the male geek culture
| can be an intimidating place. Hell, it still intimidates me sometimes, since,
| although I'm male, my degree was in English and communications rather than
| computer science. You only have to browse the archives of a mailing list for
| LinuxChix or any other woman's group to encounter horror stories.
| Experienced, qualified women finding their opinions ignored, women unable to
| attend a professional gathering without being hit upon, misogynistic slurs --
| the list goes on and on (and you'll probably see some examples of such things
| in the comments about this story).
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119488

Linux distro for women? Thanks, but no thanks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119489