[News] Microsoft Media Streams Powered by GNU/Linux

Limelight Networks: Why the Olympics didn’t ‘Melt’ the Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| Their backbone is capable of 2 Terabits (Tbps)  per second of sustained data
| transfers and they globally replicate approximately 5 Petabytes  of data on
| their storage network, which utilize a mix of proprietary vendor SAN
| replication technology such as EMC SRDF and Open Source-based technology
| developed by Limelight itself. Surprise! There’s some Linux back-ending all
| that Windows Media.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9221

The Olympic games have always been about Free software until Microsoft
approached China and manipulated.

A High Wire Act with the Whole World Watching

,----[ Quote ]
| In 1996 the World Wide Web was truly in its very early stages. The Olympics
| took place less than a year after Netscape went public, which many consider
| the key event marking the transition of the Internet from a research network
| used primarily by the technical community to the commercial behemoth that it
| went on to become.
|
| The new World Wide Web had the feeling of magic, but, in 1996, it was pretty
| primitive magic. To begin with, the vast majority of people accessing the Web
| at the time were doing so over slow dial-up modems with bandwidths of 56
| kilobits per second or less. Only at work, if you were lucky, did you have
| access to faster broadband speeds. It wasn't until years later that broadband
| usage in the home became commonplace.
|
| As we were planning the IT infrastructure for the Olympics website, hardware
| was not an issue. We used IBM's SP family of parallel supercomputers which we
| were confident would provide us with all the computing power we could want.
`----

http://blog.irvingwb.com/blog/2008/08/a-high-wire-act.html

Recent:

MS's biggest blunder, uses Linux and Apache and PHP for its infrastructure to
promote Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://openmanifesto.blogspot.com/2008/07/mss-blunder-with-mojave-experiment-uses.html