Re: [News] Microsoft Media Streams Powered by GNU/Linux

____/ 7 on Monday 18 August 2008 20:50 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Limelight Networks: Why the Olympics didn?t ?Melt? the Internet
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Their backbone is capable of 2 Terabits (Tbps)  per second of sustained
>> | data
>> | transfers and they globally replicate approximately 5 Petabytes  of data
>> | on their storage network, which utilize a mix of proprietary vendor SAN
>> | replication technology such as EMC SRDF and Open Source-based technology
>> | developed by Limelight itself. Surprise! There?s some Linux back-ending
>> | all that Windows Media.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9221
>

> BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!
>
> The olympics committee are clueless as what really
> powers their internet. They should have been endorsing
> Linux from the beginning if they knew windummy OSen was not up to it!!!!

It was supposed to be a Microsoft exclusive (Gates is good at corrupting the
authorities there with blackmail or carrot-and-stick), but later they
indicated they cannot avoid FOSS. Microsoft just can't be relied upon.

Forcefed:

Microsoft to take part in the Olympic Games in 2008 with Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| On Friday in Beijing, the organizational committee for the Olympic Games
| 2008 and Microsoft China announced that the software vendor would be an
| official software supplier to the Games, which will be held the capital
| city of China.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/92112/from/rss09

Then rejected:

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's latest version of Windows is too risky to implement for the
| important computers managing the 2008 Olympic summer games in Beijing, said
| the event's computer supplier and sponsor Lenovo.
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/08/no.vista.on.olympic.pcs/

Now watch this from last year:

Olympic computers crash at second hurdle

,----[ Quote ]
| ONLY THIRTY minutes into the start of second-round ticket sales, the Olympic
| Games' computer system crashed.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/01/olympic-computers-crash-second

Spyware:

Tuning In to Microsoft Silverlight for Olympic Gold

,----[ Quote ]
| It's also serving notice that Microsoft wants to be one of the
| major "channels" for Internet television.

More fun:

Cybercriminals to target Beijing Olympics?

,----[ Quote ]
| "We predict the possibility of large-scale denial of service attacks on
| Beijing 2008-related sites as political statements and fraud attempts spread
| through e-mail and the Web," explained Chaudhury.
|
| [...]
|
| Malware variants, Websense reported, have grown from about 20,000 in 2002 to
| 220,000 last year. Nearly 80 percent of all threats today are Web-based, said
| Chaudhury.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/security/0,39044215,62038518,00.htm

Some more:

Pro-Tibet rootkit Trojan poses as cartoon

,----[ Quote ]
| Malware writers have passed the baton in the race to take advantage of the
| Olympics with the second attempt to load malware onto PCs in a week.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/15/pro_tibet_trojan/

Ugly stuff:

Microsoft strong-arms sports fans: Olympic Games online coverage only for Vista
users

,----[ Quote ]
| Loyal XP users are not alone in their exclusion from NBC's online coverage,
| the partnership also excludes Mac users, as well those that do their web
| surfing from a phone.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/spi/archives/142151.asp

Complaints arrive:

Olympics Online, With a Hook

,----[ Quote ]
| But for many industry executives who compete with Microsoft, the world’s
| largest software company, the Silverlight strategy recalls a federal
| antitrust case in which Microsoft was found guilty of using its market muscle
| to stifle competition from the Web.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/sports/olympics/10stream.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

"I am convinced we have to use Windows – this is the one thing they don’t have.
We have to be competitive with features, but we need something more — Windows
integration."
                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft