[News] Forbes Redefines FOSS the Microsoft Way

Forbes rewrites the history of open source

,----[ Quote ]
| In the name of defining jargon, Forbes this week tries a complete rewrite of
| open source history.
|
| This is accomplished by someone named Dan Woods, who calls his company
| Evolved Media. (He might want to rename it Unevolved Medium.)
|
| Woods does this by ignoring Eric Raymond’s ground-breaking The Cathedral and
| the Bazaar, making Richard Stallman the father of something he frankly
| detests.
|
| Stallman personally lectured me on this when I first took this beat, so I’m
| not getting this from examining fossils or old newspaper clippings. It’s from
| the horse’s mouth.
|
| [...]
|
| Woods, for some reason, insists on calling open source “commercial open
| source,” when the whole idea of open source was that it would be commercial.
|
| This way, I suppose Forbes‘ editors get to twit the hippies and claim that
| open source is no big deal.
|
| In fact, open source is a very big deal.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2795

Lots more of this to come. Microsoft is trying to hijack or ruin open source.
The press it owns helps it.

Recent:

No Justification Need

,----[ Quote ]
| What's at the forefront of my crabbiness is the almost-complete capture of
| the Open Source Business Conference's news cycle by Brad Smith's presence at
| that conference left me wondering who else was even there this week, other
| than Smith, Matt Asay, and a few pundits and luminaries. In a nicely done
| spin for the media, OSBC suddenly became about how Microsoft braved the
| lion's den, instead of the real progress a lot of companies are making in
| open source development and business.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-03-28-020-26-OP-SW

All That Got Stolen Was Microsoft's Thunder

,----[ Quote ]
| The best response I've seen was from Jonathan Corbet at a panel at the Open
| Source Business Conference in San Francisco last May. Corbet is a Linux
| kernel developer himself and executive editor of the Linux Weekly News.
|
| "I feel I've been called a thief," he said levelly during a panel at the
| event, and pointed out that Microsoft was one of the companies that had
| patented "thousands of trivial functions ... There's no way to write a
| nontrivial program that can't be claimed to infringe on someone's patents."
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/03/message_to_brad.html

Brad Smith continues its FUD spreading, wants to tax RedHat

,----[ Quote ]
| Brad Smith continues its FUD spreading, wants to tax RedHat. The only
| solution for Microsoft to tax linux is software patents. Microsoft wants to
| render GPL free software non-free. The message is clear.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft needs to be sued more often, because in their current position they
| still believe too much in a patent system where no software developer has
| ever used a patent to write a computer program.
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-49513/brad-smith-continues-its-fud-spreading-wants-to-tax-redhat

Microsoft's dilemma: The importance of the downstream

,----[ Quote ]
| To work within the open-source community, which Microsoft will absolutely
| have to do if it wants to remain relevant in the 21st century of the Web,
| Microsoft must stop polluting the downstream with patent encumbrances.
| Period. Full stop. Microsoft is not alone in being threatened by open source.
| Everyone is to a greater or lesser extent, including open-source companies.
| MySQL's biggest competitor is not Oracle. It is fee-free use of MySQL. Ditto
| for other open-source companies.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9899201-16.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft