[News] Open Source Defended as a Business Plan

The Power and ROI of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source symposium was held at Taj Residency, Bangalore on 17th and
| 18th October, 2006. The event was conducted by Red Hat, sponsored by AMD and
| the research data was based on IDC’s research and surveys. The speakers
| talked about the trends in the industry, the business and revenue model of
| Red Hat, how open source can be applied to architecture, software, middleware
| and hardware.
`----

http://www.prudentpressagency.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=5728

Open Source: The Next Frontier for Data Quality Management

,----[ Quote ]
| It's clear that an open source solution for data quality offers many benefits
| to clients over conventional solutions. Open source provides all businesses
| access to critical data quality solutions that can positively impact their
| overall profitability, growth, and competitive position. Furthermore, the
| existence of the open source community enables a solution users' immediate
| access to shared knowledge and implementation enhancements, rather than
| waiting months or years for another software release. Open source can offer
| organizations the most customer-centric data quality solution available in
| the marketplace today with flexibility, customization, and significant cost
| advantages.
`----

http://opensource.sys-con.com/node/460528

Interview: Javier Paniza on OpenXava and Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| OStatic: How would you say OpenXava benefits from being open source?
|
| Javier Paniza: The benefits have been great, and very sweet. OpenXava evolved
| from a project used by 5 to 10 developers and developed by only one--me--to a
| project with more than 20 committers and used all around the globe, with more
| than 70,000 downloads now.
`----

http://ostatic.com/170873-blog/interview-javier-paniza-on-openxava-and-open-source

SnapLogic Extends Open Source Data Integration Framework

,----[ Quote ]
| SnapLogic, a company engaged in the development of a range of comprehensive,
| flexible, and cost-effective solutions for data integration for organizations
| of all sizes, has announced the launch of Salesforce.com (News - Alert)
| Solution Pack, an extension to the SnapLogic open source data integration
| framework.
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/channels/open-source-crm/articles/37109-snaplogic-extends-open-source-data-integration-framework.htm
http://tinyurl.com/662w7y

Recent:

VC funding for open source hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, total funding to date stands at $2.64bn.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/04/01/vc-funding-for-open-source-hits-an-all-time-high/

Open-source venture investing hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Just when you thought venture interest in open source was quieting down,
| along comes the biggest quarter in open source's (still young) history:
| $203.75 million raised, as reported by The 451 Group. This trumped the
| previous record of $193.6 million from Q4 2006.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9907679-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

How Open Technology Could Lead Us Out Of Recession

,----[ Quote ]
| At the same time, the United States has not only lost its former dominance in
| world technology, it is rapidly achieving a status of "a nation of
| shopkeepers".
|
| We need to remove the barriers to entering the market. We need to be the
| innovators in science and technology again. We need to regain the excitement
| we had about scientific progress back in the 1940's and 1950's. We need
| technicians in white lab coats, and we need to look up to them because they
| are giving us wonderful things like atomic power and trips to the moon again.
| We need kids to be excited about getting a chemistry set again. We need to
| let those garage start-ups break out of that garage and open up their own
| factory. We need to bring back homebrew computer clubs. We need people who
| can say that they know something about computers besides how to turn one on.
|
| In short, we need more geeks. Geeks make money.
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=how_open_technology_could_lead_us_out_of&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

No Recession at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]