Re: [News] GNU/Linux 'Market Share' Guesswork at Best

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Linux?s Market Share: Is There Any Way To Know?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Canonical is claiming that 11% of businesses use Ubuntu. (If that is the
> | case, just imagine how many use Red Hat or Suse.) Gartner says that
> | Linux?s market share is 4%, putting it about even with the Mac. And
> | Context says that almost 3% of PCs sold in the UK have Linux
> | pre-installed.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Short of every Linux distro calling home, which I hope will never
> | happen, there may never be a way to know how many Linux users there are.
> | Perhaps the downloads of some cross-platform application would give a
> | rough idea, but that application would have to be something that a Linux
> | user, a Mac user, and a Windows user would want equally. If anyone has a
> | better idea, I would love to hear it.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/08/14
linuxs-market-share-is-there-any-way-to-know/

I have a better idea - scan the press releases and add/subtract as events
unfold. Keep it public so that it can be 'peer reviewed' and independently
verifiable. E.g. EEE sold is projected at 5 million per annum approx 500,000
per month. If in a years time if the sales were actually double then correct
the tally using those future press releases.

If won't be too far from the truth.