Re: [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 14 August 2008 18:18 : \____

> New PCs Can Wake up When They Get Phone Calls
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/AheadoftheCurve/wireStory?id=5577918
>
>     Intel Corp. is unveiling new technology that will let computers wake
>     up from their power-saving sleep state when they receive a phone
>     call over the Internet.
>
> Um...and how new is this, really??
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN
>
> Granted, there might be some changes -- IIRC, wake on LAN
> didn't require a specific packet type, and it is possible
> that this "new" technology includes filtering:
>
>     [Joe] Van De Water [director of consumer product
>     marketing for Intel] said the computer will know to
>     wake up only for calls from services to which the user
>     has subscribed, so computer-waking prank calls should
>     be impossible.
>
> (Amen to that, especially if Mister Phreaker decides
> to start probing around for an open port and cracking
> into the device after making that call.)
>
> Also, 10 watts is 10 watts, and may very well become illegal in
> certain industrialized areas, as it is a "sleep mode" or
> "vampire power" mode -- a concern in coal-powered areas,
> such as the US Northeast.  (I'm mildly surprised it takes
> that much power to handle RAM refresh and NIC power.  For
> now, the legal ramifications are in the discussion stage.)
>
> I'd think it more useful for a remote device to wake
> up when it picks up motion from an attached camera or
> microphone, at least for the homedweller; a scientist
> type will want to generalize the concept to his liking.
>
> Just so you know: the new technology is called Remote Wake.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the disproportionately large number of
articles about it. How old is Wake-on-LAN? We've had it working here for at
least 5 years.

Intel also 'invented' the low-cost laptops...

Intel & Microsoft Killed the $100 Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| The article points that the stand taken by Intel and Microsoft is similar to
| the stand by large drug companies who, instead of working for the illnesses
| that plague the poor, (such as malaria) choose to focus on low-volume,
| high-margin drugs for cancer, heart ailments and diabetes.
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Intel_Microsoft_Killed_the_100_Laptop/551-92095-581.html

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
Tasks: 147 total,   2 running, 144 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie