[News] A Look at Dell's Linux-by-Default Assault on Windows

Inside Dell's 'BlackTop' laptop Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell’s new laptops sideline Windows with a fast-boot Linux OS and ARM
| processor to check email, browse the Web and even sync with Exchange.

The Next Linux You Use Could Be Virtual

,----[ Quote ]
| Major players in the laptop computer market go virtual with Linux. HP,
| Lenovo, and now Dell offer laptops that have a Linux Mode.

Luckily, Microsoft is well behind in virtualisation. Even Sun seems ahead.

Sun xVM VirtualBox is now available

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems Inc., has announced new multi-year original equipment
| manufacturer (OEM) agreements with Avanquest Software, Q-layer and Zenith
| InfoTech Ltd. to expand the global reach of Sun xVM VirtualBox.

Dell introduces ten new laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| On is a flash-based barebones Linux install that gets you up and running, on
| the Net, and with much of what you need to run the computer in instantly.
| Dell went to great pains to avoid saying the L-word though, it might anger
| the very touchy gods atop mount Redmond.

Are “instant on” notebooks the future?

,----[ Quote ]
| If I think about my normal notebook usage patterns, I’m pretty sure I could
| spend a good 80 - 90% of my time in the instant on environment and only boot
| into Windows when I needed to do something specifically Windows-centric. In
| fact, given a properly set up Linux distro as the main OS (which should be a
| snap to set up since these systems would/should already be Linux-compatible
| because they are running the Linux-based instant on OS ) which would allow me
| to handle Microsoft Office docs, and a VPN, I could do away with having
| Windows on the system altogether and simply connect to a secondary
| Windows-based PC when I wanted that functionality (when on the road I rarely,
| if ever, need to run anything heavy such as Photoshop).

Days ago:

Dell’s comeback machine

,----[ Quote ]