Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Zombies Emit Well Over 100,000,000,000 SPAM Per Day

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 12 August 2008 21:39 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:36:07 +0000
> <2687019.6qfVxSEdAm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> What is the speed of spam? 7.8 billion messages per hour!
>
> If one assumes 10kB/message that translates into a
> bandwidth of approximately 220 Gb/s [*].  All to give
> details on that secret breakthrough on certain drugs to
> help in a certain room of the house, or that guy in Nigeria
> who wants to give you a million dollars from deceased
> royalty (after paying a processing fee) or a lonely gal
> or guy wanting you -- but only after paying a stipend to
> view certain photos or movies.
>
> At 1.03 nanocents per bit (retail [+]) that works out to
> $200,000 per day.  (Do take that figure with a very large
> grain of salt, but it still works even when multiplied
> by 100.)
>
> Compare that to the approximately $2.153 trillion it
> would cost using more traditional 4th rate postal rates
> (11.5 cents per missive).
>
> Small wonder spam mail is so prevalent; it's dirt cheap.
> Saves trees, too. :-)
>
> [rest snipped]
>
> [*] B = 10b, roughly.  There are issues with stop bits and
>     other such framing, and I'd have to look up the details
>     regarding the Ethernet physical link.  Under ideal
>     conditions B = 8b, with no framing at all; such was
>     in fact the case for very old Apple ][ audio tapes,
>     for example.  Modern packet NICs just operate at a
>     higher frequency with a more complex protocol. ;-)
>
> [+] I pay $40 per month for a 1.5Mb/s ISDN connection.  There are
>     cheaper plans, I'm sure.

It's the cost of cybercrime, not bandwidth you should look at.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'
Cpu(s): 21.2%us,  3.7%sy,  0.1%ni, 73.4%id,  1.1%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st