[News] Windows Journalist Preston Gralla Gives GNU/Linux a Try

Giving an old Windows hand some Linux advice

,----[ Quote ]
| I see my colleague Preston Gralla is looking for the best Linux for a Windows
| pro. That's a good question with several good answers.
|
| Preston's son Gabe gave him some excellent advice when he recommended Wubi.
| This is the Windows' world easiest Linux installer. With it, you install
| Ubuntu 8.04 just like it was any other Windows application. Download it,
| click the install button and let it rip.
|
| [...]
|
| Good luck to you Preston, and to all the rest of you who want to give Linux a
| try on your Windows PCs.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/8626

Top 4 Alternatives to Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Considering the success of Ubuntu Linux as a distribution of the open source
| operating system, it has become clear that locating good alternatives to this
| release is becoming increasingly difficult. With that said, I've decided to
| round up the best candidates that might serve as a viable alternative so you
| might be able to partake in the Linux experience without having to relying
| exclusively on one distribution.
`----

http://www.intranetjournal.com/articles/200808/ij_08_11_08a.html

"I’d be glad to help tilt lotus into into the death spiral. I could do it
Friday afternoon but not Saturday. I could do it pretty much any time the
following week."

                --Brad Silverberg, Microsoft

Related:

The "ooww" stops now - goodbye Windows, hello Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| I know there are lots of Linux distros out there but I chose Ubuntu because
| I'm a Linux newbie. If you know your way around Windows then it seems to be
| very easy to pick up.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14856/1086/

Facing the full horror of Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, Transit has been using Vista Business full-time for a fortnight.
| And so far, we've found nothing that works better than in Windows XP,
| dozens of things that are annoyingly different without being a
| functional improvement, and several things that work at best
| intermittently and at worst not at all. On the whole, we wish
| we'd never moved.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/12147/1101/1/0/

Bye bye Windows I don't need you anymore

,----[ Quote ]