Re: [News] Lindependence 2008 Video: Kid Installs GNU/Linux for the First Time in 10 Minutes

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
<brick_n_straw@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:52:18 -0400
<193utslp9fefr.vxy5b1umljxs.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 00:47:56 +0100, Homer wrote:
>
>> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>>
>> [snip DooFy's belligerent frothing]
>>
>>> Man, you got a warped groove.
>>
>> It's hilarious how the Trolls keep accusing Roy of "lying" ... because
>> he posts somebody *else's* opinion/experience.
>>

> The same could be said of your side of the debate Homer.......

Moshe might have a point.  A fair amount of verbiage in
COLA has been expended on Ubuntu freezes -- freezes whose
cause does not appear clear, beyond the fact that they
might be happening on one of the Ubuntu versions.

Whether this verbiage is:

- authentic, meaning somebody out there has a legitimate problem
  and is not being specific enough
or
- trollish, meaning someone's out to make trouble
or
- duplicated from elsewhere, which means someone took the
  original comment and spread it around

I for one don't know, though hopefully the problems,
if they truly exist, can be sufficiently nailed down to
a specific device.  For example, I *know* I can hang
my nx9010 if I attempt to use its winmodem/linmodem
(I'm using the slamr module; scanModem suggests I need a
different driver -- 'hsf' -- entirely); an autodetection
script finding it may therefore give itself headaches.

(It's a problem, but the number of times I've used dialup
this year is less than 1 anyway. ;-) )

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because life's too short for a buggy OS.