Re: [News] Lindependence 2008 Video: Kid Installs GNU/Linux for the First Time in 10 Minutes

[snip DooFy's belligerent frothing]

> Man, you got a warped groove.

It's hilarious how the Trolls keep accusing Roy of "lying" ... because
he posts somebody *else's* opinion/experience.

As to the /author's/ claim that it "takes a significant multiple of 25
minutes to do a clean install of Windows XP or Windows Vista", that is
certainly true if one considers that installing Windows only gives you
an OS and nothing more. The base install probably takes between twenty
minutes to one hour depending on the hardware, but then to get back up
to a fully loaded system can take days or even /weeks/ of intermittent
work. I know this from *my* experience. And let's face it, there can't
be many Windows users who don't have considerable experience of having
to constantly reinstall the Vole's finest Slopware?

I'd break it down like this (average times):

_Windows_

1) ... Install OS + first reboot of many = 40 minutes
2) ... Install drivers from CDs + Shovelware + reboots = one hour
3) ... Install antivirus + firewall (essential) + reboots = 30 minutes
4) ... Download and install updates to 3) + reboots = 30 minutes
5) ... Windows update(s) + several reboots = one hour
6) ... Install apps and games from a shelf of discs + reboots = days
7) ... Download and install updates to 6) + reboots = days
8) ... Restore personal data + tweak settings + reboots = days
8) ... Find, download and install various shareware, + reboots = days
9) ... Diagnose and work around crashes and other issues = days
10)... Discover the whole thing is borked by viruses, a corrupted
       Registry, incompatible drivers, or Windows Update, and GOTO 1.

Total = weeks.

(In reality, the process /never/ actually ends, it just goes round and
round in an endless loop, until you finally wake up and install Linux
instead.)

_Linux_

1) ... Install distro (OS + drivers + apps + games)* = 30 minutes
2) ... YUM/apt update = a few more minutes (non-interactive)
3) ... YUM/apt install whatever else you fancy = a few more minutes
4) ... Configure Email/Web/News clients, etc. = a few more minutes
5) ... Tweak theme/wallpaper/etc. = 60 seconds

Total = about an hour.

* Includes the one and only reboot you may ever need to do.

Does this mean that there are no problems with installing Linux?  No,
but /most/ of my Linux experiences have been trouble-free, especially
compared to the vast litany of problems I've had with Windows.

And that's long before you start considering things like bloat, price,
security, flexibility, software freedom, and Microsoft's vile business
practices.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
| longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
| ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083

 00:47:39 up 234 days, 21:23,  4 users,  load average: 1.20, 1.32, 1.35