[News] Events in Many Cities Convert People to GNU/Linux and Free Software

Visions of a Microsoft-Free World

,----[ Quote ]
| Is free software taking over the world one town at a time? Residents of
| Felton, Calif., recently pledged to go proprietary-free for at least a week.
| Plans for similar events are reportedly under way in town in Oregon and New
| Mexico, as well as 100 towns in Italy.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Visions-of-a-Microsoft-Free-World-64106.html

Recent:

13 year-old Eric Rufle talks about installing GNU-Linux watch!

http://www.archive.org/download/e-dv531_felton_eric_009_001.ogg/e-dv531_felton_eric_009_001.ogg

Event aims to bring Lindependence to one California town

,----[ Quote ]
| What is going well? Starks reports there will be some national coverage,
| including a possible National Public Radio feature and partial coverage from
| Fox News. Also, there are rumblings of other towns that may wish to try the
| same kind of event. Both Starks and Cafiero have already been asked by others
| if they could replicate this event. In fact, Cafiero says, "I would like to
| consult with those who may be interested in doing a Lindependence project in
| their communities as soon as possible. It doesn't have to be your whole town,
| either -- it can be a local school, a local school system, any group that you
| think might benefit from GNU/Linux and FOSS."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/140575

One Down...Three to go.

,----[ Quote ]
| The first Lindependence project set sail into the history books today, July
| 14th 2008.
|
| It went well. Extremely well.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/07/one-downthree-to-go.html

Alternate Access to the System i

,----[ Quote ]
| Then I ran across something that cheered my heart no end: iSeries Access for
| Linux. Those who have been following my travails recently might know that
| I've begun treading the path toward a Microsoft-free environment. I've
| already removed nearly all of my Microsoft applications, trading in IE for
| Firefox, Outlook for Thunderbird, and Microsoft Office for Open Office (IBM
| Symphony isn't quite ready yet). I created my own Linux mail server, and I'm
| trying to go to the next step. Obviously, I have a major stumbling block in
| the fact that WDSC (soon to be RDi) doesn't run on Linux, but I have to
| believe IBM is going to fix that "real soon now." In the meantime, I'm trying
| to find replacements for other software, and while a Linux 5250 terminal
| already exists (TN5250), I thought I'd try the IBM version.
`----

http://www.mcpressonline.com/operating-systems/linux/open-source/alternate-access-to-the-system-i.html

Calling All Distros

,----[ Quote ]
| This event is going to receive national and international coverage.
| Ironically, a google search for LINdependence 2008 shows as much positive
| activity internationally as within our own borders or even in the Ubuntu
| LOCOs in California itself. In a recent google alert, it was amusing to see
| that several prominent Chinese blogs are watching the project closely. This
| is a golden 0pportunity for the leadership within Linux and FOSS to take
| control of their own destiny.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/03/calling-all-distros.html

Related: