[News] GNU Software Beats Proprietary Software Counterparts

Why is GNU software better than proprietary software?

,----[ Quote ]
| Proprietary software is often looked down upon in the free software world for
| many reasons:
|
|     * It is closed to external scrutiny.
|     * Users are unable to add features to the software
|     * Users are unable to correct errors (bugs) in the software
|
| The result of this is that proprietary software,
|
|     * does not confirm to good standards for information technology.
|     * is incompatible with other proprietary software.
|     * is buggy.
|
|     [...]
`----

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2008/08/why-is-gnu-software-better-than.html

Google runs lots of GNU software. It's reliable.

Related:

Keeping Your E-Mail Safe from Prying Eyes

,----[ Quote ]
| It is easy to scramble e-mail so that the White House cannot read it. I opted
| for software called Gnu Privacy Guard, an open source implementation of
| public key cryptography. There are versions for Microsoft, Apple and Linux
| systems. An extension for my Firefox browser, FireGPG, lets me encrypt Google
| Mail messages with the push of a button.
`----

http://business.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=13200CUXQV6O

Library Techies: Beyond the Dewey Decimal System

,----[ Quote ]
| Derek Willis, a Web developer for the New York Times, led the way. Among his
| offerings were a tip on GNU's free piece of software Wget (www.gnu.org), a
| way to download an entire Web site to a desktop, as well as the use of the
| Many Eyes site (http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/home) from IBM
| used to help visualize data.
`----

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/1449752/library_techies_beyond_the_dewey_decimal_system/
http://tinyurl.com/58uuh2

GNU Alternatives for Windows Users: Replacement Software for Microsoft
Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/230774/gnu_alternatives_for_windows_users.html