Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Innovates' (Steals Idea of) Private Browsing

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:17:50 +0000
<1395243.cyZ5TxOjOi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Microsoft dishes dirt on IE8 'pr0n mode'
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/27/ie_8_inprivatebrowsing/
>
> Microsoft Adds Privacy Tools to Internet Explorer 8
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/idg/IDG_852573C400693880002574B1000C1DB1.html?ref=technology
>
> PJ: "I find this article a bit puzzling, unless there are other features not
> mentioned, because you can already achieve the first mentioned privacy already
> in Firefox and in Opera, and more."
>
> Microsoft Files Patents for 'InPrivate' and 'Cleartracks' Browser Privacy Tools
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft (News - Alert) has reportedly applied for trademarks to protect two
> | of its Internet tools, InPrivate and Cleartracks. Microsoft indicated that
> | these tools could be part of the upcoming version of Internet Explorer 8 Web
> | browser.
> `----
>
> http://it.tmcnet.com/topics/it/articles/37884-microsoft-files-patents-inprivate-cleartracks-browser-privacy-tools.htm
>
> How dare they patent it?

I'd say they're within their rights; hopefully the USPTO isn't so
overloaded that they automatically grant same, though.

> Recent:
>
> Web browser to get 'privacy mode'
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft watchers have spotted two patent applications covering ways to
> | manage the amount of information a browser logs.
> |
> | When introduced the privacy mode will match features found on other browsers.
> |
> | Medical test
> |
> | Australian blogger Long Zheng has found two patent applications made by
> | Microsoft on 30 July for ideas it calls "Cleartracks" and "Inprivate".
> `----

Fine thing, giving a mode to the tool that caused the
problem in the first place.  Or has *everyone* forgotten
who is maintaining the cookie, sending it back to the
server upon request?

A hint: it's not the Webserver.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Conventional memory has to be one of the most UNconventional
architectures I've seen in a computer system.