[News] [Rival] Windows 'Security' Resource Pigs Come to the Web

Next-generation Computer Antivirus System Developed

,----[ Quote ]
| Antivirus software on your personal computer could become a thing of the past
| thanks to a new "cloud computing" approach to malicious software detection
| developed at the University of Michigan.
`----

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080806152434.htm

Trend Micro session token insufficiently random

,----[ Quote ]
| Knowing that, brute-force attackers could predict a valid password
| authentication token substantially more quickly and then use it to log in to
| the web interface. The report says that, besides changing settings, attackers
| could also execute their own arbitrary code.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/114882

AV software is a scam. Even security software vendors ridicule their ability to
defend Windows.

Recent:

Debunking the Linux virus myth

,----[ Quote ]
| As you can see, Linux is a rough environment for replicating malware. There
| are maybe 70 known viruses for Linux, including variants. In comparison with
| the hundreds of thousand Windows viruses, that's a drop in the ocean. Some
| may ask what is the need of Linux antivirus binaries if the danger can almost
| be ignored. Antiviral software on Linux can be extremely useful to keep those
| Samba shares clean. Mail servers can also be scanned for infected
| attachments, so that Windows networks can remain safe. Clamav is an excellent
| Linux antivirus program that can accomplish these tasks. Other notable names
| in the market would be Avast!, Kaspersky, Vexira or AVG.
|
| However, if you're in a Linux-only environment, the only thing you should ask
| yourself is... what to do with the money you would have otherwise spent on
| antivirus products.
`----

http://www.mylro.org/content/view/1088/53

With Vista breached, Linux unbeaten in hacking contest

,----[ Quote ]
| The MacBook Air went first; a tiny Fujitsu laptop running Vista was hacked on
| the last day of the contest; but it was Linux, running on a Sony Vaio, that
| remained undefeated as conference organizers ended a three-way computer
| hacking challenge Friday at the CanSecWest conference.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/032908-with-vista-breached-linux-unbeaten.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

Related:

Does antivirus have a future?

| Peter Gutmann, a researcher at the University of Auckland who presented the
| results of a study of the commercial market for malware at August's Defcon,
| estimates that a good virus programmer can make as much as $200,000 a year
| (here, a 660KB PDF). Alan Cox, an open-source security researcher, points out
| some additional possibilities. One is malware designed to sit under today's
| virtual machines. A proof-of-concept paper proposing such an attack, called
| Subvirt (PDF), appeared last year, written by three researchers from
| Microsoft and two from the University of Michigan. A presentation at last
| year's Black Hat security conference from Joanna Rutkowska, a researcher at
| Coseinc, a Singapore-based security company, covered a much leaner attack she
| called Blue Pill, which targets the virtualisation built into Windows Vista
| and into current processors from both AMD and Intel.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/sep/20/guardianweeklytechnologysection.spam

Is an antivirus gap looming?

,----[ Quote ]
| The failure of antivirus companies to adapt to the dramatic malware
| appearance rates in 2007 tells us there's time for a change and there's room
| for a new class of tools. "AV is dead" is the battle cry of a new industry
| analyst report. Antivirus companies may not be going the way of the dodo, but
| to many customers, the concept of antivirus as the last line of defense has
| been thrown out the window. It's time for a better approach, one that can
| keep up and really defend networks.
`----

http://news.com.com/2010-7348_3-6195322.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Predicting the demise of antivirus apps