[News] FOSS Applications Roundup

Open Source You Can Use, August '08 Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| It's high time for another roundup of open source software you can use, the
| close-of-August-2008 version. This time around: chatting, publishing, and
| content management.
|
| Just out this week is a new version (2.5) of the multimessenger chat client
| Pidgin -- not a major release, but it fixes some stability issues on Windows.
| I've been using the PortableApps edition for the sake of convenience, since I
| can synchronize it effortlessly between my home machine and my notebook.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/08/open_source_you.html

Recent:

Open Source in an economic downturn

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, Open Source software offers businesses a powerful strategic
| tool in their armoury to survive, perhaps prosper, in the economic downturn.
| Businesses of all sizes, from corner shops up to the largest high street
| retailers are turning to it strategically, and your business could benefit
| from it too.
`----

http://www.itwales.com/Open_Source_in_an_economic_downturn_997394.htm

Linux can save us

,----[ Quote ]
| In case you haven't noticed, the economy is collapsing.
|
| You can't afford to drive anywhere, and, even if you could, you may not have
| a GM car to drive there for much longer. Some of you may be losing your
| houses, and the mortgage companies that gave you that mortgage in the first
| place? IndyMac went down late last week and now the question of the day is
| which major national bank will follow it down.
|
| What does this have to do with Linux? Everything.
|
| With both people and companies having to squeeze a nickel's worth of good out
| of every penny, how long do you think people will be paying Microsoft for its
| imperfect operating systems and office suites? Vista Business SP1 'upgrade'
| has a list price of $199.95. Office 2007 Professional is $329.95. That's
| $529.90, or as much as a new low-end PC. Or, I could go with Ubuntu Linux for
| zero money down.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/linux_can_save_us

Microsoft sees slide in profits

Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ7_iN1SxJ.c&refer=worldwide