Re: [News] FOSS Applications Roundup

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Open Source You Can Use, August '08 Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| It's high time for another roundup of open source software you can use, the | close-of-August-2008 version. This time around: chatting, publishing, and | content management. | | Just out this week is a new version (2.5) of the multimessenger chat client | Pidgin -- not a major release, but it fixes some stability issues on Windows. | I've been using the PortableApps edition for the sake of convenience, since I | can synchronize it effortlessly between my home machine and my notebook. `----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/08/open_source_you.html

He mentions three apps: Pidgin, Scribus, and Movable Type. All three are cross-platform.

Cross-platform development is starting to be recognized as best practice for FLOSS. We will see Linux-only desktop and mobile apps either die, stagnate, or move to include Mac and Windows.