Re: [News] FOSS Applications Roundup

* Matt peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/08/open_source_you.html
>
> He mentions three apps: Pidgin, Scribus, and Movable Type.  All three
> are cross-platform.
>
> Cross-platform development is starting to be recognized as best practice
> for FLOSS.  We will see Linux-only desktop and mobile apps either die,
> stagnate, or move to include Mac and Windows.

Probably true in the consumer arena.  However, even there, too few
understand the virtues of open-source, and choose to pay for commercial
apps that have suitable OSS equivalents.

I like cross-platform coding for one reason only, though -- making the
code more robust, and unearthing any inconsistencies in protocols or
data formats.

--
Several years ago, an international chess tournament was being held in a
swank hotel in New York.  Most of the major stars of the chess world were