Re: [News] Beautiful Plasma Themes, New KDE4 Menu Demo

"The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:0aoun5-mc6.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
<brick_n_straw@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote
on Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:17:21 -0400
<1huxikmphxl92.79fjf1o464h7$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:55:01 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

10 Most Beautiful Plasma Themes for KDE 4 Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest series of the K Desktop Environment now utilizes Plasma, a new | desktop and panel user interface tool that aims for a more functional, | user-friendly, and sleek KDE desktop. Plasma also supports Dashboard-like
| widgets called plasmoids.

Coyote ugly!

Yuck....

http://darrylhourglass.blogspot.com/2008/04/beauty-of-windows-vista.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9969231-16.html

You want pictures?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/home-premium.aspx

has pictures.  While the graphics are pretty enough, the actual
windows are rather bland, and the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X"
DirectX10 demo is shown in all of its glory.  A blog entry
explains this controversy in more detail:

http://www.flightsimulationguru.com/site/2008/02/18/directx-10-in-microsoft-flight-simulator-fsx-â?"-amazing-graphics-or-a-load-of-hot-air/

I'm not sure Plasma does much for me either, though the
stickynote capability is mildly interesting.  The interface
does look highly themable, a plus.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };

=================================

Plasma nor much else of recent origin does much for me.
I would like to see an interface very like a CLI, but
with unobtrusive improvements thrown in that don't
interfere with its basically sparse environment.

Thirty years ago I was working in a unix system and
in MIT's ITS.  None of the elaboration I've seen since
was any improvement on that.  OK on the purty pitchers
and all, but I'd like that *basic relevant usefulness
back*.

Titeotwawki -- mha  [cola 2008 Aug 20]