[News] Ubuntu's Debt to Ancestry, Great Success on Laptops

Why Ubuntu users should care about Debian

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu Linux distribution has attracted a broad
| audience of Linux enthusiasts, and it's beginning to gain
| traction among mainstream computer users. Although Ubuntu
| is relatively new, it builds on the rich history and deep
| roots of the venerable Debian project, one of the oldest
| and most influential Linux distributions. The fate of the
| two popular flavors of Linux is as inextricably bound as
| their respective histories.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081230-why-ubuntu-users-should-care-about-debian.html

Ubuntu Linux on the laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Here’s what happened: when I run Ubuntu, the old laptop is
| lively - it does what I tell it to do, right away and
| without complaint.  But there is an unexpected side-effect:
| lately when I boot into Windows I find myself getting
| frustrated.  Another hourglass!  What is it doing?  Oh
| crap, it’s frozen again!  Arrrgh!
`----

http://www.decrepitoldfool.com/index.php/weblog/ubuntu-dec08/

Recent:

Ubuntu Is the Best Linux Distribution for Laptops

http://laptopcom.blogspot.com/2008/07/ubuntu-is-best-linux-distribution-for.html