[News] A Look at MEPIS and Sidux (Cousins Through Debian)

MEPIS projects are nearing completion; position relative to
sidux

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS typically tracks Debian Stable. While the
| current release, SimplyMEPIS 7.0, is based on Debian Etch
| (the current Debian Stable release), SimplyMEPIS 8.0 is
| based on the current Testing, but soon to be Stable,
| release known as Debian Lenny.
|
| AntiX typically tracks the Debian Testing release. Since
| Lenny is currently in Testing, SimplyMEPIS and AntiX are
| very similar and they are extremely stable.
`----

http://usalug-org.blogspot.com/2008/12/mepis-projects-are-nearing-completion.html

Use sidux 2008-04 for a "Cool Yule"!

,----[ Quote ]
| The only other potential drawback I can think of is for
| people who want everything right there, including non-free
| software. The sidux team strongly adheres to the Debian
| project principles found in the Debian Free Social
| Guidelines (DFSG), so they do not include proprietary
| firmware, drivers, add-ons, or plug-ins that may be useful,
| but are not "free" in the sense of freely available
| software source code. The sidux project does, however,
| provide outstanding documentation on how you can obtain
| software to tailor your system as needed. If you are not
| one who is willing to modify your system, then sidux is not
| for you, but if you are willing to customize your system,
| then sidux is a perfect choice!
`----

http://usalug-org.blogspot.com/2008/12/use-sidux-2008-04-for-cool-yule.html

"There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft
generally signals publicly -- and their customers are using
it..."

           --Paul DeGroot, a Directions On Microsoft analyst

Recent:

MEPIS Linux 8.0 nears release

http://www.deviceguru.com/2008/09/29/mepis-linux-80-nears-release/

MEPIS is coming back