[News] British Government Wants to Censor the Web

UK.gov to push Obama for tougher rules online

,----[ Quote ]
| The culture secretary Andy Burnham has suggested the UK
| should lead an international effort to introduce
| cinema-style age ratings on websites to prevent children
| accessing "unacceptable" material online.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/29/burnham_internet/

UK Culture Secretary Andy Burnham Wants Websites To Be
Rated... To Protect The Children

,----[ Quote ]
| But, of course, it appears he can't stop there. His latest
| move is to suggest that all websites should be rated and
| ISPs should be responsible for blocking access to
| inappropriate content, "for the children" of course.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081228/2040363223.shtml

MPAA Also Likes The Idea Of ISP Enforcers For File Sharing

,----[ Quote ]
| In a story that will surprise, um, well, none of you,
| Broadband Reports points us to an Ars Technica piece with
| an MPAA representative claiming "Hey, us too!" on a plan
| involving ISPs kicking file sharers off for accusations of
| file sharing. This, of course, follows the widespread
| reports about the RIAA's supposed agreements with ISPs
| (though not all ISPs are happy with the plan). While the
| RIAA got lots of press for it, the MPAA seems to have a
| better handle on the PR spin of such a program -- calling
| it a "graduated response" rather than a "three strikes"
| policy. By "graduated" they basically mean "scold, scold,
| lose your internet connection." I guess that's graduated.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081229/0248393232.shtml

Recent:

British Government Violates Copyright