[News] End of Season for Leading Linux Show, Old media is Dying

Linux Outlaws 70 - The Year 2008 in Review (Everything's Nineteen)

,----[ Quote ]
| The Outlaws take a look back at the big (and small) stories
| of 2008 and generally reminisce.
`----

http://linuxoutlaws.com/podcast/70

After Newspapers - Who's Next?

,----[ Quote ]
| Newspapers are dying - or so you might gather
| from articles like this...
|
| [...]
|
| Two things are notable here. The first, and
| perhaps most relevant to readers of this blog,
| is that one of the key characteristics of the
| proposed standards is that they will be open.
| The other is that the press release quoted above
| is deliciously ambiguous in the way it flits
| between talking about Internet radio - the
| apparent focus - and Internet media.
|
| Internet radio is a sensible place to start,
| since it's already well developed and
| flourishing. It's ripe for the establishment
| of some open, interoperable standards. But as
| the other word "media" hints, radio is just
| the start. Once you have a radio platform,
| turning it into a media platform is relatively
| straightforward, because of the way the
| Internet works. Thanks to network neutrality
| (and we all support that, don't we?), a bit
| is a bit is a bit: there's no inherent
| difference between an Internet radio
| platform, and one for Internet TV, say.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1675&blogid=14

BBC World Service: ‘jobs for the boys’

,----[ Quote ]
| Is BBC's World Service doomed to be the
| puppet of British and Russian governments?
| Following the resignation of the Director
| of the BBC's World Service, Britain's
| Parliament was assured the job would be
| advertised externally. This has not
| happened, protest former BBC World
| Services bosses and Russian scholars
`----

http://www.opendemocracy.net/russia/article/BBC-World-Service-jobs-for-the-boys

Related:

Open source Campcaster empowers independent radio broadcasters

http://community.linux.com/community/07/01/19/1955221.shtml?tid=11&tid=49

Radio goes the open source route

Linux radio suite powers independent broadcasters

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1314