Windows version of Open Office is profoundly sick

  • Subject: Windows version of Open Office is profoundly sick
  • From: Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:38:27 -0600
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Recently the trolls started posting anti OO posts here, and I will
demonstrate why they are quite clueless regarding Open Source below.

The troll Funkenbusch said:-

begin{quote}
Odd that Roy missed this, seeing as how he posts everything positive about
OpenOffice.

Michael Meeks, one of the full-time paid developers of OpenOffice claims
the OpenOffice project is "Profoundly Sick".

http://www.gnome.org/~michael/blog/ooo-commit-stats-2008.html

He also goes on to suggest some ways to help revive the project, but
doesn't think it's likely that they will occur, blaming mostly process and
Sun's control.

It looks to me like there are a lot of parallels to XFree86 in terms of
why contributions are low.  Maybe a fork will occur.
end{quote}

Erik, a OO FORK (http://go-oo.org) occurred long ago, and you being a
troll, naturally have no idea about it.

The troll Ezekiel said :-
begin{quote}
He must be running a different version than what COLA "advocates" use.
Because OO runs lightning fast, starts instantly and has a superior UI
when  it's used by an "advocate."
end{quote}

Ezekiel, of course we (Gnu/Gentoo/Linux users) use a different version,
we don't have to rely upon Windows binaries like you do. You being a troll
, naturally have no idea about it.

One advantage of Linux over other operating systems, such as Windows is
that we can and do compile our own applications (automatically), removing
the need for someone else to do it as all Windows users must do.

Gnu/Gentoo/Linux  for example has been using the Open Source *FORK* of
Open Office for some time, it's called "GO-OO".

This is the version that myself and probably anyone else using Gnu/Gentoo/
Linux will use as it's the *default* OO.

http://go-oo.org

Better interoperability

Go-oo has built in OpenXML import filters and it will import your
Microsoft Works files. Compared with up-stream OO.o, it has better
Microsoft binary file support (with eg. fields support), and it will
import WordPerfect graphics beautifully. If you are reliant on Excel VBA
macros - then Go-oo offers the best macro fidelity too. If you expect
your spreadsheets to calculate compatibly, or you get embedded Visio
diagrams in your documents, you'll want Go-oo.

Better functionality

Go-oo's user interface is more familiar, with lots of small pieces of
polish. We have built-in (working) multimedia integration on Linux, a
beautiful solver component, and your Chinese should look sane. We also
integrate with your system better by default: eg. enabling native file-
selectors on Linux.

A Faster application

>From first-time startup, where we sort I/O to reduce seek cost, to a
highly optimised second start application and a systray quick-starter on
Linux we are faster. We use less memory than up-stream, we link faster,
use better system allocators, and don't waste so much time & memory in
the registry. Go-oo performance is hard to beat.
Faster code integration

Contributing code to go-oo is simple, and fast, following the traditional
hackers' process of peer code review: just mail patches to the mailing
list, or when we get used to your code - commit your patch immediately to
HEAD ooo-build: no CWS, no hours of tagging, paperwork, no specification,
no hassle. Of course - if your patch sucks - expect to hear how it can be
improved.

Freer licensing

For the code to live, grow and improve, to encourage participation and
compete with the other office suite - we need sensible licensing: ie.
weak copy-left. While in general we think LGPLv3 is a great & sufficient
license for our code, others eg. Sun & IBM appear reluctant to include
LGPL code into their products, and prefer other licenses such as the CDDL
(a weak copy-left derived from Mozilla's MPL). Luckily dual licensing
under the LGPLv3 / CDDL can help here - and we recommend this for the
majority of our code.

We believe that copyright assignment to a single corporate entity opens
the door for substantial abuse of the best-interests of the codebase and
developer community. As such, we prefer either eclectic ownership (cf.
Mozilla, GNOME, KDE, Linux), or an independent, meritocratic foundation
(cf. Eclipse, Apache) to own the rights. Having said that we recognise
and applaud Sun's technical contribution to OpenOffice and recommend that
small patches & fixes to existing Sun code should be assigned to them
under the SCA, and up-streamed.

Freer politics

Go-oo is a developer run meritocracy. If you want to contribute something
concrete: code, bug fixes, bug triage, significant translation, build-bot
maintainance etc. then there is a place for you as a key part of the
team. If instead, you want to market Go-oo, install it, talk about it -
that's really excellent, but this is not our focus: there are no formal
roles in development to reflect this valuable work.

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008