[News] More Playback Acceleration in GNU/Linux Media Player

VLC Media Player To Receive VDPAU Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Back when NVIDIA introduced VDPAU they had provided a set of patches that
| implemented this video API within the MPlayer and FFmpeg projects.
|
| [...]
|
| The VLC project currently has two developers working on implementing this
| video API that currently is only used by NVIDIA's binary driver.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njk1NA

Return of the Xvid: check your outputs!

,----[ Quote ]
| That project succeeded in creating an MPEG-4 codec, but then some developers
| decided to keep further modifications for themselves (ProjectMayo’s code was
| not released under the GPL, you see) and created the DivX company, seller of
| the DivX codec, and several tools. They are quite rooted into Free software
| though, providing some Linux binaries of the codec (but not very often, due
| to a lack of demand), used to promote Virtualdub as an encoding tool, and
| released their main tool Doctor DivX under the GPL a while back. Dr. DivX can
| work with codes OTHER than DivX, amongst which is Xvid.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/return_xvid_check_your_outputs

Recent:

Xine Picks Up Support For NVIDIA's VDPAU

,----[ Quote ]
| It was just a month ago that NVIDIA had introduced the Video Decode and
| Presentation API for Unix that brought PureVideo-like features to Linux and
| as our early benchmarks showed this video API did an effective job at
| offloading video-related tasks to the graphics card that otherwise would be
| handled by the CPU. Last week we then took a $20 processor and $30 graphics
| card and managed to play HD videos on Linux quite well when using VDPAU.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njk0MA

Free Software We're Most Thankful For

,----[ Quote ]
| The 46 Free Desktop Software Applications, Webapps, and Projects We're Most
| Thankful For
|
|    1. Firefox (see also: The Power User's Guide to Firefox 3)
|    2. VLC Media Player (see also: Master Your Digital Media with VLC)
|    3. Ubuntu (see also: Hardy Heron Makes Linux Worth Another Look)
`----

http://lifehacker.com/5098944/free-software-were-most-thankful-for

VLC. The swiss army knife of video viewing.

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows users are especially familiar with this. You come across a video file
| that you wish to see and click on it. Waiting in anticipation for the visual
| candy to delight your eyes you are disappointed to be greeted with a message
| similar to this. Codec not installed. Often the program offers to search for
| the missing codec and install it for you. Then comes the real heart breaker.
| The codec is not to be found!
`----

http://www.locutus.us/vlc_swiss_army_knife

VLC goes to nine point two

,----[ Quote ]
| Sometimes I get the feeling that I only know about 5% of what VLC can do.
| Everyone knows it's a dependable, free, cross-platform media player. But read
| through the release notes for the latest version, 0.9.2, and you will see a
| dizzying array of server, network streaming, and conversion functions, most
| of which I have never even touched -- and the new VLC exposes a lot more of
| that functionality.
|
| [...]
|
| But even with those quibbles, VLC is easier to use and does a more consistent
| job of exposing its functionality than either MPlayer of Xine. VLC's
| interface does not get in your way, and you do not have to read a tutorial to
| get started with it. It just works. Add to that the fact that VLC is robust
| on all three major desktop OSes, and you have a winner.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/148944

Slick VLC Media Player Out In a New Version

,----[ Quote ]
| In the new version, VLC Media Player remains small and lightweight enough to
| carry on a USB thumb drive. There is a full features list for every supported
| platform here. Under input formats and decoders on the list, you can get a
| good sense of the vast number of formats that VLC Media Player supports,
| inlcuding many that proprietary players don't support. (The Ogg format is
| supported.)
`----

http://ostatic.com/173286-blog/slick-vlc-media-player-out-in-a-new-version

VLC gets a new look on Windows and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/VLC-gets-a-new-look-on-Windows-and-Linux--/111527