[News] Preliminary Review of Ubuntu 8.10 and Rave About Derivative, Mint

Thoughts on Ubuntu 8.10.

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently I finally got enough hardware together to build a new computer that
| will be used to test all the latest games and windows software on. When I
| built the new machine that meant I had my old main machine to do something
| with.
|
| So I took my old main machine and thought I would stick Ubuntu 8.10 on that
| and replace my third machine I had that was a dual boot ubuntu / xp machine.
| I figured when I replaced this third machine with what used to be my main
| machine that Ubuntu 8.10 would really like the hardware since it was a AMD X2
| 4800 cpu with 2 gigs of ram and a geforce 7950 512 meg video card.
`----

http://www.wolfmanzbytes.com/news/viewnews.cgi?id=EkkAAyAuFkguSKfMZN

Linux Mint Raises the User-Friendliness Bar

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a really pleasant distribution to install and use. It has everything
| you'd need in a typical desktop configuration plus a few handy productivity
| applications. Since it's based on Ubuntu you'll get good support for critical
| security updates and the mainstream applications. Overall, Linux Mint is a
| good choice if you're looking at upgrading to a new desktop OS. The only
| thing missing is the chocolate.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6625/1/

Recent:

Review: Linux Mint 6

,----[ Quote ]
| I'd give Linux Mint 6 a big thumbs up. There were a few things that annoyed
| me about it, but those are minor and easy to disable if you're willing to do
| a little tweaking. But out of the box it's quite nice. I've been repeatedly
| impressed with the Linux Mint developers before, and I'm still impressed with
| them.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=505

Linux Mint 6

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of Mint-specific additions in this release is impressive. It's
| good to see that the team isn't just focused on slapping on a different coat
| of paint and calling it a day. More offshoot distributions should follow this
| example. Don't just embrace, extend as well!
|
| In the past I've been both impressed and disappointed by Mint because
| although it added several useful out-of-the-box features to a solid Ubuntu
| base, it just wasn't different enough for me to justify using it over its
| parent. This release has a number of substantive differences that if further
| developed will address that issue quite nicely.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/linuxmint6.htm

Linux Mint 6 “Felicia” released!

,----[ Quote ]
| The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 6 “Felicia”.
| Congratulations and thanks to all the people who contributed to this release,
| to all the translators, to the upstream developers and projects which made
| this possible and above all to the development team for their continuous
| support.
`----

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=492

What's new in Linux Mint 6 Felicia?

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex, Linux 2.6.27, Gnome 2.24 and Xorg 7.4,
| Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" comes with a brand new "Software Manager", FTP support
| in mintUpload, proxy support and history of updates in mintUpdate, mint4win
| (a Linux Mint installer for Microsoft Windows), tabbed browsing in Nautilus
| and a lot of other improvements.
`----

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_felicia_whatsnew.php

Linux Mint 6 ScreenShots