Re: [News] Another German City Migrates to Ubuntu GNU/Linux

____/ Matt on Tuesday 23 December 2008 19:39 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> ____/ 7 on Thursday 18 December 2008 18:43 : \____
>>

>>> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock DFS
>>> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

>>> Whay snip the truth?
>>>
>>>  DE: Böblingen considering migration to Open Source desktop

>>> Wrong question dildo head!
>>>
>>> The first city to consider migrating to Open Source
>>> in Germany was Munich.
>>> They are still kicking shit out of micoshaft corporation
>>> inch by inch replacing one by one each micoshaft machine out there.
>>
>> They use their code (they developed some more) and experience to have other
>> cities migrated rapidly, even the foreign office, IIRC.
>

> I don't know that the foreign office is using much of Munich's code, but
> I can hardly doubt they are drawing from a gestalt that is formed in
> part from Munich's experience.

They are both moving to ODF as well.

I tried to find the reference, without success. I did, however, come across
your post.

=========

  From:   Matt <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.advocacy
  Subject:   German Foreign Ministry migrating all 11.000 desktops to GNU/Linux

http://www.osor.eu/news/de-foreign-ministry-cost-of-open-source-desktop-maintenance-is-by-far-the-lowest
(((((
>   DE: Foreign ministry: 'Cost of Open Source desktop maintenance is by far
the lowest'
> by Gijs Hillenius — last modified Oct 27, 2008 05:34 PM
> — filed under: [T] Deployments and Migrations, [GL] Germany
>
> Open Source desktops are far cheaper to maintain than proprietary desktop
configurations, says Rolf Schuster, a diplomat at the German Embassy in Madrid
and the former head of IT at the Foreign Ministry.

> Schuster was one of the participants in a discussion on Open Standards and
interoperability that took place last week Tuesday during the Open Source
World conference in the city of Malaga, Spain.

> The Foreign Ministry is migrating all of its 11.000 desktops to GNU/Linux and
other Open source applications. According to Schuster, this has drastically
reduced maintenance costs in comparison with other ministries. "The Foreign
Ministry is running desktops in many far away and some very difficult
locations. Yet we spend only one thousand euro per desktop per year. That is
far lower than other ministries, that on average spend more than 3000 euro per
desktop per year."

> The ministry has so far migrated almost four thousand of its desktops to
GNU/Linux and expects to complete the move by the summer of 2009, Schuster
said. About half of all the 230 embassies and consulates have now been
switched over. "It is not without problems. It took a while to find a
developer in Japan to help us with some font issues we had in Open Office."

> "The embassies in Japan and Korea have completely switched over, the embassy
in Madrid has been exclusively using GNU/Linux since October last year",
Schuster added, calling the migration a success.

> Hurdle
>
> The Foreign Ministry in 2001 began migrating its back-end IT systems to Open
Source in order to provide all embassies and consulates with Internet access
and email. "Our strategy was to use as far as possible Open Standards and Open
Source. Reduction of costs was the main reason for this decision." Upon
completion of this project, the ministry decided in 2004 to also migrate the
desktops.

> The biggest hurdle proved to be to convince the two hundred IT workers a the
ministry. "Their issues were not technical. They just did not know anything
about Linux and Open Source and we had to change their views. We took all of
them on a crash course of using Linux servers and configuring Apache. There
they discovered that it works."

> Schuster added that his data should not be mistaken for so-called Total Cost
of Ownership (TCO) numbers. "We do definitely have by far the lowest IT cost
in federal ministries, and therefore I would claim that we have an unbeatable
TCO, but one should not give figures about TCO without a clear definition what
you mean by that and how you measure it."
)))))

This means that in under a year there will be a node of Linux desktops
in every developed or sizable country in the world.  Any German diplomat
who touches a computer will be in a position to promote it to their
colleagues from many other countries.  We can expect that some of them
have already been doing that for some time.  Note that Herr Schuster,
former head of IT, is now ranked as a diplomat.

=========

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

An aristocrat's sexual escapades equate to Technocrat's hot RSS feed
Swap:  4088500k total,   417880k used,  3670620k free,   264040k cached