Re: [News] OpenGL Gets DirectX/Microsoft's Knickers in a Twist

After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> Tim Smith wrote:
>
>>  Hadron <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> No. I dont. At this time we need a shove of the existing standards. And
>>> b "we" I mean the Linux side. Gods knows its having enough difficulty
>>> keeping up and getting SW vendors on their side.
>>
>> What existing standards?  As far as I know, there isn't an existing
>> standard.  If I want to do, say, a GPU-accelerated FFT, I have to decide
>> if I'm going to target NVidia GPUs or ATI GPUs, then use either NVidia's
>> CUDA software or AMD's Stream Computing SDK, respectively.
>>
>> With OpenCL, I'll be able to write my GPU-assisted FFT code in a way
>> that doesn't depend on the particular GPU.  How is that not a good and
>> much needed thing?
>
> Simply *because* it is a good thing Hadron Quark is against it.

Simply because someone who likes Linux mentions it, LHC is against it.

> Not only because it is "choice" (something Hadron *hates* like few other
> things), but also because it is good for OpenGL. Can't have that, as MS
> favours DirectX and wants to bury OpenGL, the sooner the better

Microsoft can avoid OpenGL, but even before Apple's help, OpenGL was alive
via a free implementation.

--
This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.
		-- Winston Churchill