Re: [News] GIMP PLug-in Attacked with Software Patent

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom
<linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 22 Dec 2008 07:37:17 -0500
<COL3l.11001$M01.2377@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> PATENT OFFICE GRANTS PUBPAT REQUEST TO REEXAMINE WIDELY ASSERTED PHOTOMOSAIC
>> PATENT: Government Finds 'Sunstantial Questions' Regarding Validity of Patent
>> Asserted Against Important Open Source Project
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The Public Patent Foundation ("PUBPAT") announced today that the U.S. Patent
>>| and Trademark Office has granted its formal request to review a patent
>>| relating to photomosaics (large pictures made up of many smaller pictures)
>>| assigned to Mr. Robert Silvers, who has been aggressively asserting the
>>| patent against many individuals, small businesses, and even against an
>>| important open source software program (GIMP).
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.pubpat.org/silvers498granted.htm
>
>    http://www.kirchgessner.net/photo-mosaic.html
>
>    The image mosaic plug-in for the GIMP is no longer supported or
>    distributed. Mr. Robert Silvers, the holder of a patent related to the
>    technology that was used in the plug-in, argued that the software would
>    directly infringe his patent rights. It is not clear if the patent is
>    applicable in this case. But I have neither the time, interest or money
>    for legal action. So I complied with the cease and desist request.
>
>    PHOTOMOSAIC® is a registered trademark of Runaway Technology, Inc. The
>    photomosaic process is patented (US Patent No. 6,137,498) and protected
>    by the patent, copyright, and other intellectual property laws of the
>    United States and other major countries.

In the same way a gun, automobile, or screwdriver does.
Blame not the tool for society's failings, even if one
can use any one of the above as a deadly weapon.

Granted, one can ask the logical question as to whether
patents are serving their intended purpose: to allow
the holder thereof to set up their business before someone
duplicates or independently rediscovers the patent.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail