[News] Firefox Film, Firefox-related Media Player Challenges Apple

Firefox on film!

,----[ Quote ]
| We’ve launched a new video section on mozilla.com to help bring some of the
| many great features of Firefox alive.  The feature-specific videos are
| narrated by the people who helped bring them to Firefox.  The new video
| section even includes a walk through on how to install Firefox — perfect to
| help people make the switch.
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2008/12/19/firefox-on-film/

Open source media player takes aim at iTunes

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps you’ve already heard – the folks at Mozilla have come up with a media
| player that is giving iTunes a run for its money.  Songbird, a Mozilla
| opensource player, is an Mp3 player, but apparently much more – a media
| browser that is as much about media discovery and management as it is about
| playback.
|
| Every time you start Songbird, it scans iTunes for any changes – any new
| imports, purchases, etc. so whatever you do there is quickly and seamlessly
| incorporated into Songbird.  The big difference is that Songbird is running
| Firefox ,VLC Player, and SQLite underneath its friendly face opening up a
| whole new world of interacting with the internet through media.
`----

http://artthreat.net/2008/12/open-source-media-player-takes-aim-at-itunes/

Recent:

Distro Update: Musix GNU+Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Other than these differences, Musix is a pretty standard distribution, but a
| good choice if you want audio and video applications at your fingertips.
| Additionally, Musix is 100% free (as in freedom), so, if that matters to you,
| that is an added bonus.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/08/16/distro-update-musix-gnulinux/

Songbird 1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Songbird is a good audio player, no doubt about it.
|
| I only tested it for about an hour, but it seemed stable to me.
|
| But I will never use it on my Ubuntu pc’s.
|
| I’m a Compiz Fusion guy and like my apps to integrate with the DE (Desktop
| Enviroment, aka Gnome).
`----

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/12/05/songbird-10/

Music and browsing take flight in Songbird

,----[ Quote ]
| Music and browsing mashup Songbird has kicked the remnants of its shell to
| the curb.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10111947-2.html

Songbird’s Open-Source Music Player Finally Takes Flight

,----[ Quote ]
| Way back in February of 2006, I wrote about an early version of Songbird, a
| music-playing app that aspired to be an open-source rival to iTunes. I was
| guardedly positive. It took way longer than I would have guessed, but the
| Songbird folks finally unveiled an official version 1.0 of the application
| today. This final release bears surprisingly little resemblance to that first
| version. And while I’m still digging into it, I’m impressed.
`----

http://technologizer.com/2008/12/02/songbirds-open-source-music-player-finally-takes-flight/

Open Source iTunes Competitor Songbird Officially Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Songbird is like an open source version of iTunes that handles just about
| everything that program does, while swapping out the iTunes store interface
| in favor of the world's music blogs.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/12/songbird-the-op.html

10 of the Best Songbird Add-ons

,----[ Quote ]
| The first stable version of Songbird has been unleashed. Considered by many
| as the Firefox of media players due to its extensibility, this open source
| iTunes replacement has a bright future ahead.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/12/10-of-best-songbird-add-ons.html

A media player for the times: Songbird

,----[ Quote ]
| After about two years in the works, Pioneers of the Inevitable have released
| Songbird, a Mozilla-based music player, with which, POTI aims to do for music
| what Mozilla did with Firefox: provide an open source customizable
| multiplatform music player.
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/12/a-media-player-for-the-times-songbird/

Songbird 1.0.0 Released [Featured Download]

http://yabblog.com/2008/12/03/songbird-1/

Songbird gets ready to fly with 1.0 release candidate

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/11/06/songbird-1-0-release-candidate-now-available