[News] GNU/Linux Choices Maybe Affected by Locale, France Chooses Belgian Drupal

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Choices Maybe Affected by Locale, France Chooses Belgian Drupal
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 02:11:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Software and Nationality

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeremy Allison of the Samba project made some interesting remarks in an
| interview last week about the nationalist flavors of Linux distributions.  To
| sum up: SUSE is popular with Germans and other Europeans; Red Hat and Fedora
| are for Americans; the Chinese have Red Flag Linux; and Ubuntu “seems to be
| more third world.”
|
| In general, these descriptions make little sense.  I know plenty of Americans
| who use SUSE, and plenty of Germans who don’t.  When I was living in France a
| couple years ago, I failed to locate a single Mandriva desktop (in fact, the
| only free-software-powered computers I saw at all were a few FreeBSD email
| kiosks scattered around the Sorbonne), even though Mandriva is headquartered
| in the French capital.  Even the French National Assembly chose Kubuntu over
| Mandriva when it made the switch to Linux last year.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2008/12/20/software-and-nationality/

French government using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| The French Ministry for Health, Youth and Sport launched a Drupal-based
| information portal for French youth: http://www.jeunes.gouv.fr. Building on
| the rapid adoption of Drupal by non-profit and advocacy groups, Drupal's use
| by governments just keeps increasing!
`----

http://buytaert.net/french-government-using-drupal

ASI using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| Drupal goes to space! ASI is in Italy what NASA is in the USA. In other
| words, ASI is the Italian national agency for space activities, and works
| primarily with ESA (European Space Agency) and NASA (National Aeronautics and
| Space Administration). Among their many projects include recent work on
| construction of the International Space Station. Turns out their site uses
| Drupal.
`----

http://buytaert.net/asi-using-drupal

Recent:

Boekenbeurs using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| Boekenbeurs.be, the site of Belgian's famous book fair, received 3 awards at
| the Belgian CMS Awards last week.
`----

http://buytaert.net/boekenbeurs-using-drupal

Building Online Success With Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| Times have changed. Open source, or community-based, software is now readily
| available. Achieve Internet is an expert in building Web sites using Drupal,
| Huber said, referring to an open source product developed by a Belgian
| considered to be a superstar in software.
|
| "There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of sites built on Drupal,"
| Huber said.

Drupal on cover of Information Week

,----[ Quote ]
| Drupal was featured on the cover of last week's Information Week, a weekly
| technology magazine with 440,000 subscribers.
`----

http://buytaert.net/drupal-on-cover-of-information-week

Belgium.be using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]