[News] Correlation Noted Between Free Software and Charity

What open source can teach charity

,----[ Quote ]
| The period from the aftermath of the Time-AOL deal in 2000 to the rise of
| open source as a business model in 2005 was a hard one for many in the tech
| community.
|
| One of its aftereffects remains with us, a shortage of young people
| interested in computer programming as a career.
|
| But when many people got pink slips back at the dawn of this century, we
| didn’t stop working. We kept at it. Many of our best open source projects
| were the product of this time. The benefits are still with us.
|
| Now that it’s time for open source to give back, let me start by offering the
| charities some advice.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3197

Recent:

Linux PC auction benefits charity

,----[ Quote ]
| Want to combine your love for robots and strange mini-ITX systems with your
| interest in furthering educational opportunities for U.S. schoolchildren?
| You, too, can bid on this strange, one-of-a-kind Linux system available only
| through a charity auction on eBay.

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

Intel "paid vendors not to use AMD"

,----[ Quote ]
`----