Re: [News] [Rival] Zombiefest Coming Nuclear Submarines?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:30:10 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> On 2008-12-18, Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

windows_for_submarines_rollout/

>>> Oh. My. God.
>>
>> This has to be some kind of SICK JOKE ?
>>
>> I have actually worked as a subcontractor on the Australian Collins
>> Class Submarines a few years ago, and whilst I'm not cleared to the
>> levels required to see classified gear, I can say that the in-sub
>> computer terminal system is *definitely* not Windows, tho it's about as
>> slow as Windows due to the built in redundancy and cross checking
>> systems.
>
> The closest I ever got to a Collins Class Sub was in Darwin Harbour.
> There was one stranded there with a crook battery bank. I'd shudder at
> the cost of replacement.

I've spent days in the battery compartments replacing and calibrating gas
sensors. They're like the Hilton of battery compartments, clean, white,
well lit, ventilated and plenty of crawl space over polished wooden tiles.

Beautiful place to work. Only problem is your overalls fall to bits a few
days later :)

> These subs have been a real lemon.

I love them and think they're brilliant, but don't tell our enemies. they
can keep believing that our subs are lemons :)

> I'd almost suspect a windows OS at
> the bottom of the problems.... but, oh well...

Not everything that sucks is Windows, even tho Windows does indeed suck.

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008