Re: [News] [Rival] Zombiefest Coming Nuclear Submarines?

On 2008-12-18, Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:02:55 +0000, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>
>>> Royal Navy completes Windows for Submarines™ rollout
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> question | would be Windows 2000, but those who have worked on it have
>>> since informed | the Reg that in fact it is mostly based on XP. `----
>>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/16/windows_for_submarines_rollout/
>>

>> Oh. My. God.
>
> This has to be some kind of SICK JOKE ?
>
> I have actually worked as a subcontractor on the Australian Collins Class
> Submarines a few years ago, and whilst I'm not cleared to the levels
> required to see classified gear, I can say that the in-sub computer
> terminal system is *definitely* not Windows, tho it's about as slow as
> Windows due to the built in redundancy and cross checking systems.

The closest I ever got to a Collins Class Sub was in Darwin Harbour.
There was one stranded there with a crook battery bank. I'd shudder at
the cost of replacement.

These subs have been a real lemon. I'd almost suspect a windows OS at
the bottom of the problems.... but, oh well...

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power