[News] Preview of Linux 2.6.28, Thunderbird 3 for GNU/Linux

Kernel Log: What's coming in 2.6.28 - Part 6: Changes to the audio drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| As the development of Linux kernel 2.6.28 is approaching completion, this
| kernel log will mention a few changes that haven't made it into the "What's
| coming in 2.6.28" series so far. This includes the changes to the audio
| drivers – these drivers were already raised to the status of the Alsa
| development branch early on in the current development cycle, but were then
| updated several times. While the audio drivers of Linux 2.6.28 will roughly
| correspond to the Alsa driver version 1.0.18, they already include several
| minor improvements and corrections not yet contained in the latest version of
| the official Alsa driver archive.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Kernel-Log-What-s-coming-in-2-6-28-Part-6-Changes-to-the-audio-drivers--/news/112259

Thunderbird 3 Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Thunderbird offers an incredible opportunity for a client that feels native,
| effective and matches a variety of workflow approaches, making the most of
| Operating System integration and a consistent messaging platform. Keep us all
| updated Mozilla folks.
`----

http://www.jonobacon.org/?p=1476

Recent:

A leap forward - Thunderbird 3 beta

,----[ Quote ]
| From the outside it’s just another Thunderbird as we know it - with some user
| interface changes and tweaks. But under the hood, the groundwork was laid for
| many future improvements and additions. The bird will have the Lightning
| calendar offered as a default installation option in its final version - and
| with it introduce you to tabs. Yes, tabs as we know it from Firefox - now in
| the upcoming new Mozilla product for email, messaging, calendaring and
| whatnot.
`----

https://blog.startcom.org/?p=136

My Thunderbird extensions

,----[ Quote ]
| In no particular order…
|
|     * Bugmail
|
|       Thunderbird 2.0 - 3.0b2pre
|
|       A bugtracker bugmail companion - provides a nice header with bug
|       status, upstream links, etc. work nicely with Launchpad bug mail
|     * Buttons!
|
|       Thunderbird 2.0b1 - 3.0
|
|       Adds buttons! Not sure how to explain them all…
|     * Compact Menu 2
|
|       Thunderbird 2.0 - 2.0.0.*
|
|       Duplicates the menubar on the toolbar as a menu of menus.

http://www.fabianrodriguez.com/blog/2008/12/10/my-thunderbird-extensions/

Thunderbird 3 beta 1 - a platform for innovation shapes up

,----[ Quote ]
| In some ways, this is a typical beta — we’ve changed a lot of code since
| Thunderbird 2, and we need a lot of people to tell us if we’ve made any
| boo-boos when fixing bugs. It’s also a good beta in that we’ve moved the
| product forward, in part thanks to new capabilities in the underlying Mozilla
| platform, which gives us faster performance all around, an add-on manager
| which will be even more useful for Thunderbird users than for Firefox users.
| We also have important new mail-specific capabilities, including a
| new “autosync” system that gets Thunderbird to download IMAP message bodies
| early, so they’re already there when you need them, and a much faster
| implementation for deleting and moving IMAP messages, which I can’t imagine
| living without at this point. The one-click add-to-addressbook is also an
| elegant and shameless ripoff of the Firefox bookmarking model, which our
| alpha users love.
`----

http://ascher.ca/blog/2008/12/09/thunderbird-3-beta-1-a-platform-for-innovation-shapes-up/

QuickQuote for Thunderbird: The best extension you’ve never heard of

,----[ Quote ]
| For me, that is where QuickQuote comes in. This simple extension for
| Thunderbird allows to you define a portion of text in an e-mail and then
| decide how to act that text. And to make this even easier, all you have to do
| is highlight the text and then right-mouse click the highlighted text. When
| you right-click the highlighted text, you will notice a few new entries to
| the menu:
|
|     * Quote In New Message
|     * Quote In Reply
|     * Quote In Reply To All
|     * Quote In Compose message
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=308

10 Great Thunderbird Addons You Must-have

,----[ Quote ]
| More than a year back, Aibek has written a great list of 35 must-have
| thunderbird addons. Since then, a lot of great addons have been created and
| some of the older addons have also evolved to become a better one. As such,
| it is time for us to re-visit the list of Thunderbird addons and update our
| readers with the latest list of must-have Thunderbird addons. (If you never
| heard of Tunderbird before, it’s an email client from Mozilla, just like
| Microsoft’s Outlook but a lot more customizable.)
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/mozilla-thunderbird-addons-2/

Spreadthunderbird is Go

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the reasons that Firefox has been successful is the extraordinary way
| that users have been mobilised as part of a vast, global marketing group
| without precedent.
|
| Tens of thousands – perhaps even hundreds of thousands – of people have added
| their pebble to the cairn of promotion to produce the market shares we see
| today for Firefox (particularly in Europe).
|
| The main vehicle for creating and sustaining this distributed marketing team
| is Spreadfirefox, which effectively applied the open source software
| development methodology to the sphere of promotion. That is, it has made
| ordinary Firefox users feel engaged in the propagation of the software, just
| as they can become engaged in its development through bug reports.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1510&blogid=14

Spread Thunderbird is live!

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla Messaging today announced the beta launch of SpreadThunderbird.com.
| Spread Thunderbird is the volunteer-run Mozilla Thunderbird advocacy site
| where community marketing activities are organized to raise awareness and to
| promote the adoption of Thunderbird.  The Spread Thunderbird site is powered
| by the open source Drupal web site software.
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2008/11/12/spread-thunderbird-is-live/

Interview with David Ascher and Dan Mosedale - Thunderbird - Mozilla Messaging

,----[ Quote ]
| In this interview we talk with David and Dan. In specific, we talk about:
|
|     * How Thunderbird fits into the larger software ecosystem
|     * Internal handling of security, feature inclusion, usability, and QA
|     * The relationship between Thunderbird and Linux distros
|     * Automated tools and processes within Thunderbird development
|     * The relationship between open source and proprietary messaging software
|     * Future directions for messaging
`----

http://howsoftwareisbuilt.com/2008/10/21/interview-with-david-ascher-and-dan-mosedale-thunderbird-mozilla-messaging/

Mozilla Messaging releases new Thunderbird 3 alpha

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla Messaging has launched the third alpha release of Thunderbird 3.0, a
| major update of the open source e-mail client. The current prerelease series,
| which is codenamed Shredder, is highly experimental and not intended for
| production use. The new alpha introduces tons of minor improvements and a
| handful of significant new features, including some of the first usability
| enhancements that are part of a major user interface overhaul.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081016-mozilla-messaging-releases-new-thunderbird-3-alpha.html

Test Driving the new Thunderbird3 alpha2 (Shredder) on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://anojrs.blogspot.com/2008/08/test-driving-new-thunderbird3-alpha2.html