Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:47:35 +0000
Subject: Re: Microsoft Evangelism a Flawed Philosophy

[quote]
"[M]y presentation was such a hit with DRG’s management that I
gave it in three subsequent internal training sessions at
(roughly) six-month intervals. DRG’s management REQUIRED the
attendance of all newly-hired evangelists at these presentations,
and the attendance & participation of all other evangelists was
recommended. The pace of hiring new evangelists then slowed, so
it was not necessary to give such internal training sessions
thereafter. Microsoft had not previously had any formal training
seminars for newly-hired evangelists, so far as I know (between
1992 and 1996). If you read the transcript of the “offending”
presentation, you’ll see that Marshall Goldberg — a senior
evangelist who had frequent meetings with Microsoft’s senior
executives, including Bill Gates — refers to me as being
Microsoft’s “evangelism theoretician.”

The point being that Microsoft recognized that my presentations
on evangelism theory, strategy, and tactics — of which only one
has been entered into the public record, the others still being
massively confidential — were, in fact, the best embodiment of
Microsoft’s evangelism “policy” that existed at the time. Else,
they would have used some other materials and presenter for
new-evangelist training, would they not?"

http://scripting.wordpress.com/2007/01/09/scripting-news-for-192007/#comment-34530

[/quote]

This is from

James Plamondon Says:
January 11, 2007 at 7:59 pm

which further states,

[quote]
That said, the “pawns” metaphor was stretched well beyond the
breaking point, and should not have been used.

The “first-date” analogy was puerile, stupid, and wrong. In one
of the other training presentations, I emphasize that the first
rule of evangelism is, simply, “Never lie; always tell the truth”
— a point contradicted by my stupid “first-date” ramblings. I was
usually slated as the “after lunch” speaker because I was
recognized for my ability to wake up a sleepy audience — and in
my search for spicy, vivid, exciting analogies, I went too far,
for which I am truly sorry.
[/quote]

and

[quote]
P.S.: Once I’m done revolutionizing the music-technology world, I
really should finish my book on the theory and practice of
technology evangelism.
[/quote]

--
HPT