[News] Open-source 'Clouds' Get IDE

WaveMaker Launches First Open-Source IDE for the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| The biggest problem with cloud development platforms to date has been lack of
| portability. For example, what if I want to move my cloud application from
| Coghead to some other platform? Answer - you can't.
`----

http://www.keeneview.com/2008/12/wavemaker-launches-first-open-source.html

Sun takes another swing at cloud computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Having coined the phrase "the network is the computer" more than a decade ago
| Sun could expect to be leading the march towards cloud computing, but in some
| ways it is still at the start line.
|
| Sun recently pulled the plug on its Grid Compute Utility service, which was
| launched two years ago and allowed companies to buy computing power from
| Sun's data centers at a fixed rate per hour, like a public utility.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/121008-sun-takes-another-swing-at.html?hpg1=bn

Recent:

Why clouds should be more like operating systems

,----[ Quote ]
| For the cloud to become more like an operating system and less like an
| amorphous mass, and by definition more useful to business, some basic
| functions need to become part of the fabric.
|
| [...]
|
| As the name implies, a package management systems help you install or remove,
| upgrade or configure the packages in a system - Linux and Unix mostly.
| Typical functions include: upgrading from a repository, verifying signatures
| and checksums and managing dependencies.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/12/cloud_package_management/

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
| it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
| have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
| look like.
|
| [...]
|
| Midori for Linux?
|
| One of my smarter-than-me buddies, Gary F., told me that Linus Torvalds
| worked on something called Midori a few years ago, an embedded Linux for
| mobile devices: "I doubt Microsoft would ever release something that could be
| traced back to Linux, but if I recall correctly, Transmeta's Midori had some
| rudimentary 'cloud computing' features vaguely similar to Microsoft's
| Midori." Read "Details emerge on Transmeta's "Mobile Linux" and "Transmeta
| Exports Midori Linux to China" for details.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/149709/microsoft_is_giving_up_on_windows.html

PDC 2008: More details on Windows Azure, the Internet operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all, Microsoft doesn't have the greatest track record on the
| Internet, and it's not clear that developers will jump onto the Windows Azure
| bandwagon. Will businesses be willing to commit to a proprietary platform and
| lock their cloud applications to Microsoft's datacenters?
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/PDC_2008_More_details_on_Windows_Azure_the_Internet_operating_system/1225155201

Microsoft could block popular Azure apps

,----[ Quote ]
| "When you hit the quota...it's possible we will block access to your site,"
| Microsoft's Manuvir Das told PDC after a session, Lap Around Windows Azure.
| Das did try to reassure potential developers blocking was not guaranteed, but
| noted: "We have the capability to do that and may have to do that."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/28/microsoft_blocks_azure_traffic/

Stallman warns against cloud computing

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview reported by The Guardian, he said, "It's stupidity. It's
| worse than stupidity: it's a marketing hype campaign."
|
| Stallman warns that cloud computing is simply a trap to entice users' into
| entrusting their data and computing applications to proprietary systems that
| are beyond their own control and which service providers could make more and
| more expensive for users over time. He doesn't trust the vendors.
|
| "Somebody is saying this is inevitable -- and whenever you hear somebody
| saying that, it's very likely to be a set of businesses campaigning to make
| it true," Stallman said.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/30/stallman-warns-against-cloud

Cloud computing is a trap, warns GNU founder Richard Stallman

,----[ Quote ]
| Web-based programs like Google's Gmail will force people to buy into locked,
| proprietary systems that will cost more and more over time, according to the
| free software campaigner
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman

Cloud Computing Has To Be About Openness And Ease; Not Locking Developers In

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081027/1630182657.shtml