Re: [News] Linux So Bad That Even OpenSolaris is Preinstalled and not Linux

Terry Porter wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:22:26 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:
>

>> So Toshiba now sells both Windows and OpenSolaris laptops - NOT Linux.
>> Toshiba feels that OpenSolaris is a better solution for consumers than
>> Linux.
>
> How do you reach that conclusion ?
>
> Toshiba has never been very Linux friendly, and are no doubt hurting from
> Linux netbook sales like all the old guard.

Correct, Toshiba have never been Linux friendly and have been so hurt by
Linux netbook sales that they are now selling their own Linux netbook,
model NB100 running UBUNTU (not widely advertised, I only know about it
because I spotted a local electrical store selling it last week).

http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/A0460761
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=597M
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=333688&sourceid=2459&CAWELAID=260676413

The Misco site seems the only one to actually show the Linux TUX logo on the
site though.

Quite amusing seeing Linux netbooks in my local electrical stores - all
their XP/Vista machines are on display with the shop's custom crapware
installed so all you can look at is a running advert for the shop
(passworded to stop customers actually trying to use the machines) and the
Linux (and apple) machines are the only ones you can actually open
applications on and try the look&feel - makes you wonder what they're
scared of customers doing to the windows machines and how they expect to
sell something the customers can't try before buying.

These shops also have similar policies on Printers - you can try any
expensive to run inkjet printer but if you ask to try a laser they just say
they're too hard to install and won't be able to print photos (not true -
I've printed photos on Dell 3100 and HP 2600 lasers and they look OK to
me).