Re: [News] Linux So Bad That Even OpenSolaris is Preinstalled and not Linux

____/ Terry Porter on Sunday 14 December 2008 04:41 : \____

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:22:26 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:
>

>> So Toshiba now sells both Windows and OpenSolaris laptops - NOT Linux.
>> Toshiba feels that OpenSolaris is a better solution for consumers than
>> Linux.
>
> How do you reach that conclusion ?
>
> Toshiba has never been very Linux friendly, and are no doubt hurting from
> Linux netbook sales like all the old guard.
>
> Good luck with OpenSolaris!

Toshiba sells GNU/Linux.

Hands on: Toshiba NB100 netbook review

,----[ Quote ]
| Prices for the NB100 are as follows: the Linux model is £259; the XP version
| is available with 1GB of RAM for £299. Look out for a complete review of the
| NB100 soon.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/hands-on-toshiba-nb100-netbook-review-478388

Toshiba unveils HSDPA-ready Portégé trio

,----[ Quote ]
| Users will be able to choose between Windows XP or Linux on all three models.
| All three have integrated webcams too.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/15/portege_trio/

Toshiba NB100 netbook announced for the UK

,----[ Quote ]
| Toshiba has announced the UK arrival of the Toshiba NB100, the company's
| first product to enter the growing netbook market.
|
| The company says the 8.9-inch NB100 is a "stylish, compact device with
| advanced communication and multimedia capabilities" that weighs in at less
| than a kilo.
`----

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/17730/18754/toshiba-nb100-netbook-uk.phtml

Toshiba releases Linux netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Toshiba Australia has yet to advise on local availability and price. The
| NB100 lands in Europe next month from £260, which is as near as dammit to
| $600, although that doesn’t take into account the GST and other markups.
`----

http://apcmag.com/toshiba_releases_linux_netbook.htm

Toshiba takes wraps off netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| It's official: Toshiba today formally launched its entry into the Small,
| Cheap Computer arena, following Dell's lead and equipping the Linux version
| with Ubuntu 8.04.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/18/toshiba_unveils_netbook/

Not a lot of old tosh: the new Toshiba NB100 Netbook revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| An Atom N270 CPU, a Linux Ubuntu 8.04 version, a Windows XP Home version,
| WiFi, Ethernet, USB x3, 0.3MP webcam, up to 120GB hard drive storage,
| middling battery life of around 3.5 hours, weight in the 1 kilo area and a
| choice of colours including gold, silver and black.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20706/1054/

Toshiba unveils NB100 mini laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike the Asus Eee PC models, the Toshiba NB100 has a 120GB hard drive. It
| also has 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi, 10/100 Ethernet and three USB ports. It is
| expected to ship in October for about £260.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2226442/toshiba-unveils-mini-laptop

Toshiba phone runs Linux on virtual platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Kernel Labs (OK Labs) says its open source real-time
| virtualizing microkernel was used by Toshiba in a mobile phone
| widely available in Japan and Australia. Toshiba's W47T phone runs
| Linux on top of OK's OKL4 microkernel, and is distributed by
| KDDI, Japan's second-largest wireless carrier.

Ocean Blue Wins order to Develop Software for Toshiba 'Donau' "system-on-chip"
ICs

,----[ Quote ]
| The new Linux-based software will allow for fast development of
| reduced component count consumer electronics products, such as
| set top boxes (STBs), integrated digital televisions (iDTVs),
| personal video recorders (PVRs), and combination hard disk/DVD
| recorder systems.
`----

http://www.digitaltvnews.net/items/070706oceanblue.htm

Toshiba Italy mulls pre-loaded Linux notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Toshiba's Italian channel sales and marketing operation reportedly
| is considering offering pre-loaded Linux in its Tecra, Satellite, Portege,
| and Qosmio notebook lines, according to a story published online last week
| in the Il Sole newspaper.

Toshiba Gigabeat Added to Rockbox

,----[ Quote ]
| 2006-12-29: Toshiba Gigabeat builds added to the CVS build table and the
| daily builds.
`----

http://www.rockbox.org/

Some Toshiba portable computers cannot be upgraded to Windows Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| An article was added to Microsoft's Knowledge Base yesterday that I
| found rather curious. Titled Some Toshiba portable computers cannot
| be upgraded to Windows Vista, it says "These portable computers were
| originally manufactured and designed to support only Microsoft Windows
| XP".
|
| [...]
|
| Specifically designed for XP only? How do you do that? I looked at the
| specs for a few of these, and they seemed within reason to run Vista
| on. Enough RAM, enough processor, enough Hard drive. I noticed that
| one that I looked at listed a video card that had DirectX 8.1
| optimized drivers, where 'Vista Capable' requires at least DirectX 9.
| Is that one thing the deal breaker?
`----

http://itsvista.com/2007/04/some-toshiba-portable-computers-cannot-be-upgraded-to-windows-vista/

Don't ever listen to the Microsoft Munchkins. Their job it to utter lies.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Unisys: open source software set to have a similar impact as the Internet
         run-level 5  Oct 15 15:52                   last=S