[News] Cisco's and Symbian's Attitude Towards Free Software Criticised

Is Cisco an open source leech?

,----[ Quote ]
| Sure, the use of open source has benefited Cisco's bottom line. But is it
| possible that Cisco's customers have also benefited from new features faster
| as a result of Cisco engineers not having to work on "commodity" function? I
| suspect the answer is yes.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2008/12/is_cisco_and_op.html

More on Symbian

,----[ Quote ]
| I took a lot of heat for my recent post on Symbian, but a recent ZDNet UK
| interview with Symbian research chief David Wood has me asking more hard
| questions.
|
|    1. Should Symbian really be called open source? Wood says its Eclipse
|    license only allows code to be shared among “Foundation Members.”
|
|       [...]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3173

Nokiambian is about software patents and DRM. It's better off avoided and
Qtokia should be safe because of its licensing promise.

Recent:

Cisco Romancing Linux Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is asking developers to instead think "inside the box"
| to create applications that will run on the Linux based Cisco AXP module.
| It's tossing in $100,000 in prize money just to keep it interesting.
|
| Linux Application availability alone isn't the only thing Cisco is after.
| It's making sure the developer ecosystem has a revenue model that will keep
| Cisco and developers in the black.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3777891/Cisco+Romancing+Linux+Developers.htm

Qt announces Linux design win in IP phones

,----[ Quote ]