[News] OIN's New Project to Defend GNU/Linux from Patent Trolls

Linux Defenders - That Would Be You Guys, Actually

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Invention Network, the Software Freedom Law Center, and the Linux
| Foundation have teamed up to create another tool to defend Linux from
| patents. It will be hosted by the NYU Peer to Patent folks, where Mark
| Webbink is now. It is called Linux Defenders, and that would be you, in that
| they are asking folks to provide prior art to block anyone else from
| patenting it. Over time, this could be very significant as a protective wall.
| Essentially, as I understand it, it works like this: Since it costs a
| prohibitive amount of money to file for patents, the workaround is defensive
| publication. That results in prior art which can then block patents on that
| prior art. Brilliant, my dear Watson. No kidding.

I'm doing an interview with OIN's CEO.

Recent:

Microsoft's patent portfolio rated strongest among software companies

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/techtracks/2008/12/03/microsofts_patent_portfolio_rated_strongest_among.html

| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151568/ballmer_still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html

Related:

Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

,----[ Quote ]
| The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
| unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
| executive for Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Sun-exec-accuses-Microsoft-of-patent-terrorism-/0,130061733,339280437,00.htm

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=Microsoft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html