[News] [Rival] Microsoft Office a Reliability and Usability Failure

Usability Hall of Shame: Excel

,----[ Quote ]
| Since May of this year, I’ve been trying to snap screenshots and videos of
| those special moments when my software (or hardware) interactions have been…
| less than stellar.
`----

http://benzilla.galbraiths.org/2008/12/06/usability-hall-of-shame-excel/

Recent:

Connected: Microsoft Office 2003 better than Office 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| A review of Office 2007 could be considered doomed from the start. Its
| predecessor, Office 2003, is one of the best products Microsoft ever created;
| so the bar is raised high. After a year of using the newer product, I still
| see some features that are better than the older version; but on the whole,
| I'd rather be using Office 2003.
`----

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08089/868925-96.stm

Related:

Why Microsoft's ribbon sucks

,----[ Quote ]
| Bottom line, I have a lot of respect for Microsoft and many of the
| outstanding people that work there (e.g. Bill Buxton).
|
| But the new ribbon sucks.
|
| I've been using it daily for months (Word, Powerpoint, Excel), and I
| consistently stumble on the same functions over and over again. I doubt I
| will ever master it. And I'm an interface designer!
`----

http://www.dexodesign.com/2007/08/why-microsofts-ribbon-sucks.html

Bold Redesign Improves Office 2007 But Learning Curve May Be Too Steep for
Some Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "it requires a steep learning curve that many people might rather avoid.
| In my own tests, I was cursing the program for weeks"

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116786111022966326-T8UUTIl2b10DaW11usf4NasZTYI_20080103.html

Office 2007 may be Microsoft's Titanic: former Government IT boss

,----[ Quote ]