[News] MAFIAA Model Under Attack, Singers Leave, MAFIAA Resorts to Propaganda

Why Copyright? Canadian Voices on Copyright Law

,----[ Quote ]
| In June 2008, the Canadian government introduced Bill C-61, new copyright
| legislation that closely followed the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
| The public response to the bill was both immediate and angry - tens of
| thousands of Canadians wrote to the Minister and their local Members of
| Parliament, leading to town hall meetings, negative press coverage, and the
| growing realization that copyright was fast becoming a mainstream political
| and policy issue. This film, produced by Michael Geist and Daniel Albahary,
| asks Canadians from across the country and from a wide range of sectors the
| question - "why copyright?".
`----

http://blip.tv/file/1513205

Musicians tap new revenue model

,----[ Quote ]
| With CD sales in decline the music industry is looking for novel ways to
| recover some of its dwindling revenue.

RIAA to engage with the silver surfers

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest tact has been to throw out a large amount of lawsuits out whenever
| the press starts flagging, or worse yet, questioning their viability. Nothing
| like big numbers and scare tactics to get headlines, especially when most
| media outlets are owned by companies that also own a large record label. The
| synergies are incredible.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2003/09/11/riaa-to-engage-with-the-silver-surfers
http://tinyurl.com/6n6cy7

"I’m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
they should do a delicate dance"

                --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief

Recent:

750,000 lost jobs? The dodgy digits behind the war on piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the estimate of 750,000 jobs lost. (Is that supposed to be per year? A
| cumulative total over some undefined span? Those who cite the figure seldom
| say.) Customs is most often given as the source for this, and indeed, you can
| find press releases from as recently as 2002 giving that figure as a U.S.
| Customs and Border Patrol estimate. Eureka! But when we contacted CBP to
| determine how they had arrived at that imposing figure, we were informed that
| it was, in essence, a goof. The figure, Customs assured us, came from
| somewhere else, and was mistakenly described as the agency's own. This should
| come as no great surprise: CBP is an enforcement agency, whereas calculating
| the total loss of jobs from IP infringement would require some terrifyingly
| complex counterfactual modeling by trained economists. Similar claims have
| appeared in Customs releases dating back at least to 1993, but a CBP
| spokesperson assured us that the agency has never been in the business of
| developing such estimates in-house.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/dodgy-digits-behind-the-war-on-piracy.ars

Harvard professor challenges RIAA anti-piracy campaign

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=537633690&rid=-50